Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inexpensive Server Backup Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

coper

Technical User
Jan 4, 2002
US
Hi,
I am looking for a simple and inexpensive way to backup my web,dns server. I really just want to backup a few folders on the system. I have a spare windows pc. Is it possible to do a selective system backup to my spare pc, you know just the folders I need backed up. I was thinking this may be possible via a cron script and ftp. Maybe tar the folders and then ftp to windows pc.
Is this possible? If so where can I find such a script since I have no idea how to write one myself yet.

Thanks

check out rsync

rsync is an open source utility that provides fast incremental file transfer. rsync is freely available under the GNU General Public License

-Danny
dan@snoboarder.net

Thanks folks for your input. I'll check'em out
~Pam

Simple and Cheap Method
1. Obtain and install 3Com (or other ) FTP server for W32
2. Run timed job on Windows to zip required folders
3. Run cron job to FTP to W32 box and pick up zipped file

For you ftp client use ncftpget (part of ncftp suite). All software is free of and/or open source.

I have been using this method for sometime now with servers that have no logical structure to the data they store, and it works well (until an operator moves a folder :-((

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back