Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inet time out issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

sborny

Technical User
Jun 29, 2001
GB
Hi all,

I have written an app that uses ITC to download a file from a website.

This works fine on my test machine that has a broadband connection.

I have brought the app to my clients who have a standard dial up connection and there is a problem.

The app starts to download the file and creates the file on the network with a size of 0kb and then when the download says it is complete the file immediatley dissapears.

The download complete state is based on Inet not equaling .stillexecuting. So it only states that it has finished when Inet says it is no longer executing.

I am wondering if there is a time out issue here as it is a slow internet connection.

I can connect to the site and download the file mannually using cuteFTP but it will not work using my app.

I have tested every other possibility and it comes down to the internet connection.

Is there a way to build a time out option into the Inet code.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Symon.

Everything has an answer, it's just knowing the right question to ask. !!!!

Look at the .RequestTimeout property. The MSDN has info on this and both and have some sample code for ftp clients. As I have advised in your other 2 threads regarding this app please keep us posted on your progress to include final resolution details. Thanks.

Hi bmdb,

Sorry for not responding.

I could not get the uploading of the file to work at all so I have dropped the idea and instead just delete the file on the host and got the PHP script to re-create the file when the next form is submitted.

I have looked at the .requestTimeout and It has made no difference.

I downloaded an app written by someone else just to test. And it comes up with an error:

425 can't build data connection. Request timed out.

I have set the timeout to be 3 minutes and the file to be downloaded is only 2kb.

Any ideas.

I promise I will keep you posted on how I get on.

Sorry again.

Symon.

Just to let you know.

It suddenly just started working.

No change to the software or anything.

Must have been a problem with the server that i was downloading from.

Cheers

Symon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back