Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Individual VM Box answering line instead of AA

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoneygirl

Programmer
Aug 2, 2002
US
Hi All,

I have a client witih MICS 6.1 with a NAM (NVM 4.1).

They have a group of pots lines in a rollover group, all pots lines set to be answered by the AA in 0 rings.

Additionally, many phones have a target line assigned, which is not set to be answered by the AA, but goes to each individual's box (each set is CFNA to vm on 4).

The pots lines do not appear or ring on any phones (as they are ALL supposed to be answered in 0 rings by the AA).

I don't know how long this has been happening (the site has been up over a year), but because I have been test-calling their site on another matter, I have seen that on some calls (3 out of 20 or so) to the pots lines, the aa is not answering, but instead 3 different vm boxes have answered!! They have about 25 phones/20 boxes. This site gets lots of calls....maybe a thousand a day or more.

Any ideas what could make a call go to a box instead of the AA??

Thanks so much.

Elise Levine

Hmm.. does NVM 4.1 have an express messaging field like call pilot? If so, make sure none of the lines are set in that field for any of your mailboxes.

Also, because of the infrequency of this trouble and the high traffic you describe, perhaps the calls are hunting to a line you are not aware of or that is not supposed to be hunted to but is?

good luck-
brandon

SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE HITTING A TRUNK PROGRAMED TO GO TO AN EXT INSTEAD OF AA ANSWERING CALL YOU NEED TO GO THROUGH ALL OF THEM

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS

Could all the ports be busy on the nam? Would it go to a station set to ring on that line then?
Wayne

I would check the timer for for extensions when they are forwarding to vm. Lengthen it if need be.

IF ALL PORTS ARE BUSY YOU WOULD GO TO THE OPERATOR

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS

You know PerryPJ, I thought about that there must be a hunting situation or a line ringing on an ext I'm not aware of....but each misguided call goes to a different box each time!!! It's not like one box is answering these calls.

Also, I thought about what if all ports are busy, which is certainly possible, but the call is answered in 0 rings by the box, its not like it rings the 4 rings and then gets answered.

I did find that they had that vm setting "redirect DN" set to "yes" and I now changed it to "no". But all the posts I've read about that are the other way around: supposed to be answered by a box, but answered by aa. When is that setting supposed to be set to yes???

I'll let you know if this cures it, but I'm not hopeful.

Any other thoughts, please post.

And thanks everyone for your input.

Sure does help!

Regards,

Elise Levine

Wow, I just worked through this problem on my system. I found your post about 2 minutes after I found my fix.

Here's the lowdown..... When in Night mode, a call from outside went straight to a person's vm. That was because THAT PERSON was on the phone at the time. Every set had FWD ON BUSY to the VM DN, so every incoming call on night service would go to the VM of someone currently on the phone.

The reason for FWD ON BUSY was so that internal calls would route straight to VM for that user. The FWD on NO ANSWR is still set to the VM, and I assume as long as the number of rings is high enough, we won't have that problem again.

I hope this helps you out!!

Oh Amaxey, I've been there before - the "forward on busy" going to a vm box for any call ringing to that phone, which is often a night mode situation.

However, that is not my problem here - they don't forward on busy.

I did change the vm setting "redirect dn" to "NO", and I gotta tell ya, I THINK THIS WORKED!! I have tried a lot of calls, and can't reproduce the error anymore, and I haven't heard this complaint from the customer.

It's been over 2 weeks, so I think we can chalk another problem up to this crazy setting (which I can't figure out when it should EVER be set to yes!!)

Thanks everyone for your input.

Elise Levine

phoneygirl,

I just seen post. I work w/national accts & had this same trouble & this is exactly what we had 2do on these sites per techsupport. I had to dialin w/dialup networking.I think trbl started if I can remember w/5.0 MICS & NAM4.1
Thanks 4 the post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back