Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Indexing Service - IIS on Windows Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

moleproductions

Programmer
Oct 23, 2003
GB
I am trying to use Indexing Service within Computer Management on a Windows Server 2003 machine but am hitting a very odd problem.

I cannot get the indexer to search the main www directory. I have been into [tt]Properties -> Advanced... -> ticked "For fast searching, allow indexing service to index this folder"[/tt] but the search results from the standard search form will only show results from any sub folder of www, but not
If I disable indexing in any folder other than www (that is all sub folders) then I get no results at all for any keywords.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
Many thanks,
Tim

Ok - I had been trying to work this out for 2 weeks and suddenly as soon as I ask for help it is now working.

A few things that seem to have helped:
- I turned on "Index file with unknown extenstions" since I was using .shtml files for server side includes***
- I upload a new page, and then that page was available in the results
- I re-uploaded the whole website and that now lists all pages

***I am told that this is not a good idea because it means the server will index all files and not just useful ones like Word docs, text files, web pages etc. However, I turned on this option for this web search only, and not for the whole server.

So - for anyone out there needing a fix to this problem - I hope my weeks of agony have been worth it.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back