Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

indexing on two different fields 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kate

Programmer
Nov 19, 2001
US
I have a table that I want to create an index for on two fields. I want the table to be ordered by a name field with field type of char and then by a expir_date field with type of date, however I want the name field to be ascending and the date field to be descending.

I've tried creating to different tag names and calling them both at the same time, but I get a "operator/operand type mismatch error". So I tried using the expression dtos(expir_date) and then calling calling both indexes but I get the same error.

Is there a way to make one of the fields ascending and the other descending? I know I could use the sort command, but I want to be able to open this table with an index.

INDEX ON NameField + STR({^2099/12/31}-DateField, 10) TAG MyTag

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP, Author, CrysDev: A Developer's Guide to Integrating Crystal Reports"

Smack on Craig.

I would even use the same date!

Code:
index on NameField+str(ctod("31/12/2099")-DateField,12,0) tag MyTag

Is that affected by regional settings?

Perhaps this is better?

Code:
index on NameField+str(ctod("12/12/2099")-DateField,12,0) tag MyTag

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Griff,
Craig used the Strict Date format that's been in VFP since 6.0 SP3 (I think). from the help file:
A caret (^) can be included as the first character in a date to specify year-month-day date ordering, overriding the order specified by the DateFormat property or SET DATE.
Rick

Rick,

See - I *should* know that, but I had no idea!

perhaps I should RTFM?

Thanks

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

I would not use CTOD... it can cause problems. Use Strict date as I did or the DATE() function.

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP, Author, CrysDev: A Developer's Guide to Integrating Crystal Reports"

Thanks for the help. I'm still having trouble though creating this index. Here's the code I'm using

INDEX ON owner_name + STR({^2099/12/31}-expir_date, 10) TAG namedate

where owner_name is the name of the char field and expir_date is the name of the date field. When I enter this code I get an error

"Index does not match the table. Delete the index file and recreate the index."

So I click OK and it looks like it is creating the index, but it only indexes on the name field and not the date field.

I am using VFP 6.0, although I don't think we have SP3. Could this be the problem?

It shouldn't be the problem, but I HIGHLY recommend you upgrade to VFP 9...short of that, you should apply SP3.

I just tried the code on a sample table and it worked fine. You should DELETE TAG NameDate and then try again.

Craig Berntson

Actually, I was wrong.. it will be a problem, as strict date is not supported in VFP 6. Use the following:

INDEX ON owner_name + STR({12/31/2099}-expir_date, 10) TAG namedate

Craig Berntson

Ah, so that's why I didn't know about it!

I've NOT READ the VFP9 manual!

Although I am a fan of it generally.

SP5 is pretty much a necessity for VFP6, with that you have a pretty stable product - most of my existing apps are still in VFP6 and will remian so for the foreseeable future. If it ain't broke - don't fix it!

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Hi Kate,

The expression should work fine in VFP6. The strictdate concept was introduced in VFP6.

It sounds as though something is actually wrong with the CDX. Perhaps it was damaged as a result of previous attempts to create this index. Try doing as VFP suggests and delete the CDX and recreate it from scratch.

pamela

That code returned an error

"Ambiguous date/datetime constant. Use the format:{^yyyy-mm-dd[hh[:mm[:ss]][a|p]]}"

I tried using a format like this, but got the error

"Date/datetime contains illegal characters"

It's starting to seem like this may not be possible. Am I doing something wrong?

Oh and I have tried deleting the index and recreating it, but when I try to recreate it using this code

"INDEX ON owner_name + STR({^2099/12/31}-expir_date, 10) TAG namedate"

I get that error "Delete index and recreate

Oh, and where can I download SP5 or even SP3

Try my solution instead - just to get it going:

Code:
index on owner_name+str(ctod("12/12/2099")-expir_date,12,0) tag namedate

Martin

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Thank You Griff. I don't know why I didn't try that earlier. That seemed to work. Thanks for your help everyone.

STRICTDATE is supported in VFP6, but in order to use it you should SET STRICTDATE TO 1 or SET STRICDATE TO 2.
Can also be set through menu Tools->Options->General->Strict Date Level.

I, personally, SET STRICDATE TO 0, because I support a lot of converted from previous versions applications. Also, for indexing purposes I would prefer to use DTOS(), not CTOD() or DTOC(), as DTOS() is almost format independent and recommended for indexing. That's why I would go with this solution:

Code:
INDEX ON NameField+STR(20991201-VAL(DTOS(DateField)))TAG MyTag

Oh, and even with SET STRICTDATE TO 0 VFP6 wouldn't throw an error.

I think I was able to use it way before I installed any service packs - never indexed on an expression with STRICTDATE in it, though.

Would I be right in suggesting the use of a UDF?

One which saved the current date settings and restored them?

All seems a bit clumsy - I'll use the ctod() route personally!

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back