Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

index types and usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

saxgeek

Programmer
May 2, 2003
US
From reading the manuals, I gather that order by hash and order by values clauses on indexes help when querying a range of values. Or am I totally off base here? So I have a table with a UPI - one column numeric. A colleague of mine added a NUSI on the same column with the order by hash clause. Doing this seemed to make the queries run faster - but the queries are not doing range scans. They are doing equality joins on the index. Why would adding the second index make them run faster? Or did something else that was done to the queries cause the speedup?

In that special case the index is almost useless, because the UPI is on the same column and it's also hash ordered. And only "order by values" will help in range scans.

I'd guess that statistics have been collected and the optimizer choose a more efficient plan...

Dieter

You were right in that the original statistics on the tables were collected before there was any data in them. I made my own copies of the tables etc. I couldn't even create the index with the order by hash clause because teradata recognized that there already was an index on that column.

Anyway, the explain looks a lot better when there are legitimate stats collected on them. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back