Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

index problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

diem

Programmer
Jul 25, 2001
US
Hello everyone,

For example, I have a table like this and an index with UNIQUE type is set to Make with name MAKE.

ID Make Model
1 AGCO test1
2 AGCO test2
3 AXIAL test3
4 AXIAL test4

If I do a command "SET ORDER TO MAKE", the result is:
ID Make Model
1 AGCO test1
2 AXIAL test3

But if I delete the first record with ID = 1, then I run the command again "SET ORDER TO MAKE", the result is changed to:
ID Make Model
2 AXIAL test3

Should it still have the result like this even though first record ID= 1 is deleted. I need to have the result below. Note: I need to have "SET DELETED ON" in this case:
ID Make Model
2 AGCO test2
3 AXIAL test3

Does anyone know what's wrong with this UNIQUE type of index and why it gave the wrong result if the first record of each Make type is deleted? Any help is appreciated. Thank you

You would have to reindex the file because when the index is created, it only references one of the items if there are more than one. If you delete that record, that item no longer exists, so the index would need to be recreated so it has a new item to point to in place of the deleted one.

Dave S.

I highly recommend against using UNIQUE indexes. Honestly I can't think of a good use for them at all. Instead of setting the index UNIQUE and using SET ORDER TO, consider using a Regular index and issue the following statement:
Code:
SELECT ID, make, model FROM myTable ;
    GROUP BY make INTO CURSOR temp
This will give you one record per Make no matter which record gets deleted.

Just my opinion on the UNIQUE indexes, of course. Just because I can't think of a use doesn't mean there isn't one. :eek:)

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back