Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Index out of date. Cannot open or repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilGurney

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2000
GB
I have a Paradox 5.0 table which I have been working on with Paradox 8. I cannot open, query or export the table and get the error message Index Out of Date. The table repair utility will not repair and gives the message "unable to verify table header - error number 10243". Can anyone help me recover 45 MB of useful data??

[sig][/sig]

Does not sound healthy. My standard advice is :

After you BACKUP YOUR FILES you could try each of the following tasks in turn. Each step is progressively more destructive. Steps 3 and 4 will remove constraints and indices from the table.
1. Try the Table Repair utility on the table.
2. Create a new table (borrow the structure from the required table). Then add the records from the old table.
3. In desperation, delete the .VAL file for the table and try restructure.
4. In absolute desperation, also delete table's index files .Y?? and .X??.

Thanks for the reply which has confirmed my later actions. After I posted I found that deletion of the index file would allow me to open the table. I restructured and restored the indexes and have now found the same problem again today (solved again in the same way). I suspect I have a more fundamental problem. The database is being accessed by more than one version of Paradox over a network. Could this be a factor?

[sig][/sig]

I had a similar experience some time ago on a largish table. However, I found that Pdx5/7 was reporting corrupt index, but Pdx 8 correctly reported that the table was ok - and it was, and continues to be. Don't know if that helps.

Phil,

Depends on your NOS; are you using Microsoft Networking? If so, go into the BDE Administrator Control Panel applet for each and every user and enable local share; otherwise, you will not be able to get accurate table locks.

On the other hand, of you're using Novell, please make certain you have the most recent version of Client32 _and_ that your packet buffer receive size is set to the maximum value possible.

Hope this helps...

-- Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back