Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Index on This

Status
Not open for further replies.

scohan

Programmer
Dec 29, 2000
US
I'm looking into where we can add indexes. I have 2 or 3 queries similar to the one below. What would be an appropriate index for it, if any? Thanks.

select id from os_currentstep where (entry_id = " + wfId +
" and id in (select wf_step_id from workflow_activity_attribute where name = 'step_name'" +
" and value = '" + activityCode + "')" +
" and id in (select wf_step_id from workflow_activity_attribute where name = 'business_id'" +
" and value = '" + businessIdStr + "'))";

Hi,
It will actually depend, but as a start:
Index entry_id and id and value in os_current_step
and
name in wf_step_id

You may want to look into compound indexes as well, but be aware of their limitations ...

[profile]

Thanks. I was thinking of putting one on name and value in workflow_activity_attribute. They are both varchr2(50).

Hi,
Yep, I missed the table name in the subqueries..
so,

Table
os_currentstep
Indexes
entry_id
id

Table
workflow_activity_attribute
Indexes
name
value
(and maybe wf_step_id so only the index is needed to get the value)

[profile]

Now you have me thinking as to when it makes sense to add an index and what to put in it. If I have the following table:

CREATE TABLE workitem_party
(wi_prty_id NUMBER (15) NOT NULL,
party_role NUMBER (2) NOT NULL,
parent_id NUMBER (15) NOT NULL,
pt_prty_id NUMBER (15) NOT NULL,
CONSTRAINT wi_prty_id PRIMARY KEY (wi_prty_id)
USING INDEX TABLESPACE indx
);

and I create the following index:

CREATE INDEX wi_party_idx1 ON workitem_party (party_role, parent_id, pt_prty_id) TABLESPACE indx;

for queries like the following:

select pt_prty_id from workitem_party where parent_id = 11 and role = 1;

does it make sense to have the index since an index scan will take place to get the pt_prty_id vs. a table scan w/out the index?

Does the index scan perform better or are we just creating more storage requirements and processing (for the index) with out and increased speed in pt_prty_id retrieval?

What about if the query is 'select * from workitem_party where parent_id = 11 and role = 1', would the table row need to be accessed to get wi_prty_id since it's not in the index (it is the pk though)?

Thanks for the education.

To clarify, the second to last question in the previous message should have been:

Does the index scan perform better or are we just creating more storage requirements and processing (for the index) without increased speed in pt_prty_id retrieval?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back