Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Index and Priviledges relation

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokesh123

Programmer
Jun 14, 2001
US
Hi,
I ran SECHECK to fix the "missing index node pointers" problem on one of my informix table. After this problem was fixed, the Select and Update priviledge for all users on this table was revoked. I want to know how are the Indexes and Priviledges on a table related?

I forgot to mention its Informix SE Standard Engine.

I don't use SE so I'm only guessing here:

I do know that when you unload a table and reload it using the "onunload" and "onload" statements the priviledges are revoked and have to be recreated. Is it possible that to fix the index problem Informix rebuilt the table (or unloaded and reloaded it)?

If so then that's why it happened. Now the next question is why doesn't Informix recreate the priviledges when it rebuilds the table? Good question............

Jane

Jane what I think is that Informix only drops the index and recreates the index. It doesn't meddle with the data.
SO I don't think it did a unload and load.

It seems Informix while rebuilding the Index goes into single user mode i.e it won't allow others to select or update the table on which it is recreating the Index. To achieve this Informix might have revoked the access permissions on that table.

G.R.P.

Even if Informix goes into Single user mode during index recreation, I observed that the related tables are locked exclusively. But there's no reason why the authorities shud be revoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back