Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

index and bootstrap on other tape 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panzerjunge

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2002
DE
Hello,

we have 3 TZ87 DLT3 Tapes and one Transtec dds4 6x changer. On the Transtec we have the full Backup and on the other 3 Tapes we store the incr. Backups. My Problem is, that I need the indexes and bootstraps on the TZ87. But the Networker stores them on the Transtec.
How can I change this?

Could anyone help me

SCHorSCH

What you can do is set up a pool that does the bootstrap and index backups and only set that pool to backup to the TZ87.

Can't find a link to it, but it's in your networker manual under the Device and Media Management chapter. Look for "Directing Client Indexes and Bootstrap to a Separate Pool."

set up for pool (where do you want to save index and bootstrap information)
1. level 3, 9 and full. now you have only inc for this pool and may be manual.
2. group, what you use now for your clients.
3. check if pool setup to write only to specific device than cancel this settings.

(you can find out all settings in pool properties)

hi,

pool settings for bootstrap and index.

Group: check all groups
Client: list all clients
saveset: index
bootstrap

This must work!

cyberted

Thanks a lot for your help. Now it works.

Panzerjunge

To set up a pool for indexes and bootstraps, the following is simpler method:

Create a pool. In the saveset list, put:

index:*
bootstrap

leave everything else blank.

hi wallace88,

this can't work if you have specified groups and/or clients ...in other pools.

The selection of pool go's like this:

FILTER:
group
client
saveset
level

Hi cyberted...

The way I set up my index pool works, becuase indexes and bootstraps write to this pool all the time in my backups.

In my test environment, I have the following pools: Default, Manuals, index. I have two groups: Default and test. Clients are backed up with saveset=all

The index pool only has saveset list populated with the following:

index:*
bootstrap

Try it and see for yourself.

hi wallace88,

that's what i say.

if you config. another group called "all_clients" + another pool called "all_clients" ,put a client in this group and configure the group "all_clients" to backup in the pool "all_clients" the index and bootstrap information would be send to your index pool.

Try it out. your index-pool-config wou'nd work.

SORRY

cyberted

look in the admin guide 6.1 on page 227 table 35 (NetWorker Hierarchy for Resolving Pool Conflicts).

cyberted

"the index and bootstrap information would be send to your index pool."

Isn't this exactly what I said it would do?

Like I said, it *is* working the way I set it up.

Hi

I had the same problem as panzerjungle. There was a complete new pool, group set with no reference to default at all, yet it was still putting the bootstrap and index on the default tape and not the tape I wanted. I have created a new pool called 'index and bootstrap' and listed all clients and in savesets put index and bootstrap. I also ticked all groups (there are two). I will see if this works. Still a little unsure of the logic but Legato is completely new to me so hopefully it will click into place soon.

Inq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back