Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

InDesign to PDF- missing images

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaxJax80

Technical User
Sep 13, 2006
US
Hello, what am I missing here? When I export to PDF for a 2 page saddle stitch, I am missing half of my pictures. They are all available and correctly linked as various .pdf, .jpg, .tif, etc. The previous document worked last month with the same layout. I know it's got to be obvious?!

First, try prefighting (File menu) to see if any problems come up. Also check the links window to see if nay of the image require updating.

In you pdf export window, Under Compression uncheck Crop image data if it is checked. Under transpaency flattener in the Advanced section make sure that High is selected.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Jax

Not sure if your query is now resolved. In case not...
Indesign does not store images within the indd file, but rather links to the source files of placed graphics (e.g. jpg, tiff,...). If, over the last month, you've moved graphic files to a new directory then this will cause problems.

If pre-flight is not fruitful or confusing then check the 'links' window. Links window will detect all source images. Any problematic files are highlighted with an exclamation mark in a triangle. If any such icons appear, relink the graphic using the buttons at bottom of links window.

Links window should show no icons to right of each source file name.

Good luck, Ross

Is it possible you have some items set to Nonprinting (Window > Attributes) and last time you exported that file you chose "Print Non-Printing Objects" and this time it's not checked? Be sure to check the attribute of the frame as well as the content.

Just grasping at straws here, without knowing what all has happened between last successful printing and now.

ok, it seemed to work when I went to embed the images into the document. Everything printed fine in my test print...lets hope that the final print was just as successful. I do understand the linking attribute of the program and thus confused as to why some of the "linked" files were not printing. I do however now understand transparencies ...I was not considering my drop shadows as transparencies and this may have also caused difficulties. Thank you all for your support! I will definitely recommend this site in the future!

Since you are imposing, I would wonder if whatever you are using to impose was the culprit (if you are imposing within InDesign with either InBooklet or a script).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back