Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Indesign to create interactive PDF form 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossmcd

Technical User
Jun 28, 2006
CA
I need to prepare a PDF that contains multiple interactive text boxes (i.e. recepient of PDF will enter some text into several boxes then likely print it out).

Ideally I'd like to design the document in Indesign and - somehow - include blank text boxes that can be completed in PDF format. Is this possible / easy ?

Guidance welcomed.
Ross

Yes...very easy. You won't create the interactivity in InDesign, though. Layout the form in InDesign and save it as a PDF. Then, with Acrobat, you'll create a fill-in form (or fillable form, I forget the terminology). Just use the Help feature in Acrobat. Basically, you'll select the area you want the user to be able to fill in and enter the type specs, etc.

Most fill-in forms are the kind the end user can fill in and print. I'm not sure what it takes to add Document Rights where the end user can fill in the the form and save it. That might have been introduced in Acrobat 7...also the user might need to have Acrobat and not just Reader. My hubby's the Acrobat guy in the family and he's not around to ask. Hope that helps some!

Ekwoman, thanks.

I've had a fiddle and it seems reasonably simple. Cool.

One further query...
The process here seems to involve (a) create Indesign doc; (b) export to PDF; (c) add interactive boxes, etc manually in PDF file using Acrobat Pro.

That's fine, but what if after all this I need to make alterations to the design in the Indesign file? Would I need to start from scratch (gulp) and recreate all of the interactive features again?

Ross

Essentially, yes.

You may also find success if you are using the Windows version of Acrobat Pro as it includes a forms designer component.

Actually, you do not have to recreate your form. Just make the necessary alts in InDesign, redistill your pdf (name it something other than the existing form PDF). Then in Acrobat, under Documents select Replace Page, select the newly updated PDF and presto, all your form fields are now on the new PDF. You should of course modify any javascript code that is calling to the old PDF. With this option, you can replace individual pages or a range from the old to the new. These steps have saved me immeasurable amount of redo.

Truly inspired suggestion. Simple and worked effortlessly.
Thanks a lot ruffian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back