Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

InDesign/ Relinking Nightmare (rebuilding catalogs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyFromHell

Programmer
Jun 16, 2005
US
Here is the situation:

About 3 weeks ago my computer crashed but I was able to salvage much of what was on my original hard drive and copy to the new hard drive that I installed. Herein lies the problem.....
When transfering my saved ID catalog files to the new drive, all of my links were lost. So, in my thinking, I thought that all I needed to do was locate the links (I kept them all in detailed folders) and copy them to a similar path and relink with the Links Pallet and be finished. But, when I relink the photos, all I get is the ghost image (pixelated representation) of what used to occupy that spot in the catalog. Also, this is the same ghost image that appeared when I transfered the ID catalogs to the new drive and opened it in ID for the first time. When I relink nothing happens, I just get the same result as before I tried to relink the pics and graphics.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to do? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Does the links palette indicate that you have successfully relinked the images? If so, you simply need to adjust your view settings to display the graphics in high quality.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Yes, the links pallete indicates that relinks are successful but adjusting view settings has no impact on the outcome. Let me include a screenshot. Maybe you have seen this type of problem before.

IDexp.jpg

The screenshot sure looks like low quality display. To do a check to make sure things are ok, export a pdf of part or all of the doc and see how that looks. If it looks ok, the links are fine and the problem is only in display performance.

If the pdf's ok, try going to ID Prefs/Display Quality and make high the default with no ID documants open.

Then go to View menu/display perfomance and select high quality with the problem doc open.

Using OSX 10.3.8 on a G4

For some reason everything is working fine now. I didn't touch a thing. The only thing different is that when I open a certain catalog (for about the 50th time) it decided to update the links for me. I don't understand why this happened only now after I have beat my head against the wall for weeks. Nonetheless, thank you for taking the time to help me with my dilema. You folks provide a wonderful service the pc community.

Forgive me if I misundstand you question, I'm not familiar with the term "ghost image" - but, if your mean the low res screen representation that inD uses to speed display - simply change the setting under the View menu:Display Performance. (Display Performance can also be set on an object by object basis in the objects menu)

If my response is not helpful please ignore.

Sorry I took so long to reply. Yes and thank you, your reply helped me very much. I am new to ID, and I am not completely familiar with it's finer workings yet, hehehe. I use so many programs in this job that I don't have the time to completely devote myself to this program, but I am slowly and surely learning it. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back