Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

InDesign pdf file sizes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jekyll666

Technical User
Jul 13, 2005
CA
Hi All;

Recently I have been working on a project that is very image heavy (1 hi res per page, approx 220 pages per document). The InDesign documents themselves vary in size by 10mb. English is 31.9mb and French is 42.2mb. (Ihave no idea why this is, unless it is retaining old data, I have "saved as" to try to get file sizes down.

When I create postscript files and distill them using the same settings, I end up with an English pdf that is 7.8mb and a French pdf that is 5.0mb.

Hope someone has encountered this before and has a miraculous answer for me. The client would like to know "why" this is happening.

Thanks,

Why what is happening? InDesign can save as PDF, you don't need to go through PostScript->Distiller->PDF.

The French language requires some characters not in the standard encoding of most fonts. Some additional "space" in both PostScript and PDF will be used to handle font encoding issues.

Thomas D. Greer

Thanks Tom:

Here is the dirt, best way I know how to describe it.

When I cook the pdf the usual way, it takes way too long and creates a 20mb+ file (instead of 8mb), sometimes it will hang the program after it gets to the 99.9% mark on the bar... hence the distiller route. (You know how clients don't like to pay for machine problems...)

Like I said before, I've seen file sizes differ, but not by that much. And the interesting thing is that the pdf of the larger file is smaller, and vice-versa.

Cool eh? I think the file is just #@%?!*$ - I was only hoping for an answer that the client would believe...

Jekyll

You could try openig in Acrobat and then go to File menu/Reduce file size and see what that does, I've found that it makes a big change without degradation. Of course I'm assuming that you used the same Distiller settings for all versions.

By the way, I also still rely on printing postscript and distilling rather than exporting pdf from ID. You get better output options in the ID print dialog that can result in much smaller pdfs.

Using OSX 10.3.8 on a G4

Hey jmgalvin:

Thanks for your input.

Yeah - I've tried that and pdf optimizer - not that much of a reduction (.5mb), plus it pixelates the big images, so not much good as a deliverable.

I also prefer the postscript option, as you mentioned, there is more to choose from in the print dialog box, plus cleaner, faster production of files and smaller file sizes. I guess I'll keep putting it out there to see what anyone else knows about this.

At least I can say that two other technical users are stumped too... maybe I won't look like such a dork if no one else can figure it out either :)

First off you never indicate which version of InDesign you are using or Acrobat . . . This could be helpful information.

Is it possible to breakup the pdf process? Say pdf the first 110 pages and then the second 110 pages and then combine them in Acrobat? This may help with the file size.

Are you prepping this so that the client can view it or so that it will go to the printer? For clients to view it, you shouldn't have to go all out on the pdfing side of things. I usually use something like eBook or Print settings in the export feature - or through Distiller. It is dependent on your versions though. Personally if it is the final product to be viewed online mostly I use eBook settings. This usually reduces the file size dramatically, but enables really decent print quality.

HTH!

InDesign CS, Photoshop CS, Illustrator CS, Acrobat 7
Windows XP & MAC OS X (Yes I Use Both, Not at the Same Time)

The only miraculous answer I can think of is that the "save as " PDF's from other Adobe applications have always been weird.

Remember Pagemaker PDF's?

That function never worked right as far as I'm concerned. I always distill.

As far as the customer is concerned - I would just tell them it's their fault since it probably is ;)

Hi Vakohles;

Im working on a G4 10.3.9 using InDesign CS and Acrobat 6.0.2.

Thanks for that tip, but it gave me a 20+mb file, so that's another exhausted avenue that I can say that I've tried - along with the 15 or so other attempts at this pdf.

I think I'm officially in agreement with who235 - the client will just have to accept that it's their fault, and pay the bill :)

What am I missing? I've re-read this thread and am still missing something: what is the problem? You have a 220-page file, with each page containing a hi-res image, and the result is a large PDF. This is completely expected. What needs to be "explained" to the client?

Thomas D. Greer

One thing that could be adding to the headache is different color settings. . . all of the files need to be CMYK and make sure that there are no random RGB profiles (or vice verse) depending on the final product. I haev found with that may images that one profile can throw off the whole thing. Then make absolutly certain that the color settings in the pdf are set to CMYK or RGB. That too will cause it to freak.

As for my own personal oppinion - Acrobat 6 needs to be outlawed it has too may issues. I recomend 7, or 5 but never never never 6.

Good Luck and thanks for the info about version! :)

InDesign CS, Photoshop CS, Illustrator CS, Acrobat 7
Windows XP & MAC OS X (Yes I Use Both, Not at the Same Time)

Hey Tom;

It;'s not necessarily the "largeness of the files" it's the inconsistency between the two file sizes.

If you read my first and second posts, I made mention of the file size issue, and was perplexed as to why the larger file made a smaller pdf and vice versa. As well as how come one file is 2.5 mb larger at all. The files are essentially the same, just different languages.

Keep in mind I'm dealing with government people here. They have no clue how to create anything in InDesign, they only know how to complain about it.

Ah. And the only difference between the files is the language? How are you specifying French characters such as "é"? When you create a PostScript file, well, how do you create a PostScript file? If you select a printer, do a print, but select "Print to file", what PostScript settings do you use? Are they the same for both files?

When you Distill, what Disteller settings do you use? Again, same for both files?

Thomas D. Greer

Tom;

Yes the files are the "same". And also yes, you print to file, and the settings are the same, using a pdf driver in the print dialog box. When you distill the settings are also the same.

See why I am confused?!

What font are you using for the french???
Have you checked the French PDF???
Are all the accent characters there??? eg é, è, ü etc.

Maybe the Distiller is subsetting the french font, and not the english.

Marcus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back