Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

InDesign page independence

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamcl

Technical User
Apr 20, 2004
US
Pagemaker had a printing option (page independence) that allowed, when ripping to an independent RIP device, the page to view as the page number of the document. IE: When ripping only pages 5 and 20 it showed as page 5 and 20 NOT page 1 and 2 in the rip device. This is not even an option in Quark, it's automatic. I can't find such an option in InDesign. Ideas, tips anyone?

One workaround would be to convert the document to PDF and send that to the rip. I believe (though I could be wrong) that you can achieve page independence this way.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

You mean Have I tried not using the software?

You haven't given any info on the RIP or your OS, or even the verion if ID that you are using. I have ID2.0, but I never print to a RIP, so I am just trying to help with the little knowledge I have.

When I print assorted pages from ID to my local printer, they are always numbered correctly, ie. page 5 prints as page 5. I don't know what would cause page 5 to print through your RIP as page 1, if it was the only page you printed. (I assume this is the sort of scenario you are describing).

If you provided a litle more and complete info, maybe someone will happen along that has experience with your particular sort of workflow and can give you a better answer.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

RIPs sometimes print the page slug info based on the the page number of the "job" and not the page number of the document. Thus if you print, say, a 200 page magazine all at once then the slugs will have page numbers 1 through 200 on them, making it easy to see the page order even though some pages, ads for example, have no page number at all.

If you then go back and re-print just page 5 the slug will -- with some RIPs and some software -- indicate that the output is page 1, regardless of what the software thinks the page is. Now fitting it back into the right place becomes a hassle.

I have no idea if InDesign can overcome this, but I do know that in the past I've put a "true page number" text box outside the margins (that matches the document's page number) to print as part of the bleed, a number I can use to slip pages back in the right place when they're individually output (or more commonly, output in batches, say a register at a time).

I assume that's what kamcl is talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back