Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

InDesign keeps crashing on me! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

susiesue

Technical User
May 29, 2001
US
Dear All,

I've recently upgraded from PageMaker to Indesign and think it's a great program.

However, during the last few days it keeps crashing on me - especially when I'm updating indexes and table of contents. The files are in a book. I have tried removing all files from the book then adding them back in - but to no avail.
I also downloaded the 2.02 update from Adobe in the hope that that would help.

Does anyone hae any ideas why it keeps happening (in a few different books) and if there are any ways to prevent it from doing it again?

Yours hopefully,

Susie

Susie-
I am having the exact same problem and asked the same question to this board a few days ago with no respose. What I have found out is it might be a font issue.

I don't know what system you are on or if you have a font management program. Maybe you and I can put our heads together to fogure this out.

I am on a Mac, OS10.2.6. I have Font Reserve.

What is your set up? I can tell you one thing to look at if you are on OSX.

-Janet

Hey guys,

I am having the problem of indesign crashing aswell. But it does not always closes...rather it stops responding to commands such as zoom etc. (See my other thread abt possible data curruption). Well all the data in the text/picture boxes turns white and cannot be seen.

I am using windows XP and indesign2.0. Are there any patches for it yet?

Thanks for any responses in advance.

I'm using Windows 2000 & Indesign 2.02 and have downloaded the most recent patch from Adobe site. Didn't make any noticeable difference though.

I ended up uninstalling and re-installing InDesign which seems to have helped (only crashed once since now) - though i don't know for how long. I'ts not an ideal solution.

Susie

I had the same problem for a while. It was the strangest thing. Make sure the transform and layers palettes are not together in the same box. Seperate them and it will be okay. at least it was for me. check out my question Unexpectedly Quits

I ran into this program & solved it by going into the "Adobe InDesign" folder in the preference folder in my system folder & trashed the "InDesign SavedData" file & the "InDesign Defaults" file. When I relaunched InDesign, it rebuilt both files & everything worked fine after that. Of course, I lost all my preferences (palettes, hyphenation, colours, default page size, margins, etc etc), so after the first time that happened, I set up my preferences and when I had everything exactly the way I wanted, I made a copy of the 2 files and hid them in my InDesign program folder. Now whenever InDesign quits unexpectedly, I immediately replace those 2 files with my copies (keep a copy for later) and away I go.

Thanks Tad I will definitely follow your advice. InDesign seems pretty stable at the moment but I'm not trusting it for too long..!

Susie

Another thing to consider: I've found that the Suitcase AutoActivation plug-in causes ID to frequently crash as well. If you're using Suitcase in OS X try getting rid of this plug-in.

Brian

Ok, this should fix your InDesign problem.

Close Indesign, Search for and delete the following files from your hard drive:

InDesign Defaults

InDesign SavedData

When you restart InDesign it will create new preferences files and I think your problem will be fixed.

I had the exact same problem and this fixed it. Now anytime InDesign starts crashing this works.

Another good thing to do is to use the "Save As" command to save your files every once in a while. This will get rid of any extra data that is in a file. The "Save" command just saves the changes and the file gets bigger and bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back