Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incrementing Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2003
US
I have a database that contains a contract effective date, and end date and an associate review period, either 90, 180 or 365 days. I have (([enddate]-[effective date[/[perioddays] that tells me how many times to review over the life of the contract. Now I just need to know the expected dates. Getting the first is simple, but I have having trouble getting it to increment to get future dates. Here's an example: I have a contract that starts 4/1/07 and ends 3/31/08. It needs to be reviewed every 90 days. That's 4 periods. I know the first review date should be 6/30/07 but I need it to list all 4 dates. Any thoughts? Thanks. D

ReviewDate1 = DateAdd("d",90,DateEffective)
ReviewDate2 = DateAdd("d",90,ReviewDate1)

etc.

TMTOWDI - it's not just for Perl any more

Thanks Adalger. How do I get it to create the review dates only of the amount of periods I have? I have other contracts that are 5 years long and need to be reviewed every 180 days so that is 10 periods. Each contract has a varying duration and number of periods. Thanks. D

I'd use a select case in VBA.

Code:
Public Function ReviewFrequency(Term as Integer) as Double
    Select Case Term
    Case <x1> to <x2>
        ReviewFrequency = 90
    Case <x2> to <x3>
        ReviewFrequency = 180
    Case <x3> to <x4>
        ReviewFrequency = 365
    Case Else
        ReviewFrequency = 0
    End Select
End Function

Then review dates are DateAdd("d", ReviewFrequency(<years>),DateEffective) etc.

TMTOWDI - it's not just for Perl any more

You can use a monthly bases like so

ReviewDate = DateAdd("m", 1, ReviewDate) "change the 1 to any number of months to postpone the date to. This way you will be reviewing on the same day of the month every month. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back