Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incremental uses more tapes than Full backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drolaw

MIS
Jun 26, 2001
I'm using 6.61 Build 897 on a Windows2000/SP2 Compaq server. The last two weeks I've received messages during my incremental backup to insert a new tape. By Thursday I'm up to four tapes for my weekly incremental job. On the otherhand my Full backup job on Friday's only takes Two tapes. I'm using a Compaq 20/40 DLT drive with DLT IV tapes.

Any ideas as to what is happening. Does this have anything to do with Append media? I did have it checked but this morning I decided to uncheck "Append Media" to see if I will need four tapes for my incremental backup job. I've never had to use more than one tape for an incremental job until two weeks ago. The amount of storage has not increaesed. Weird?!

Drolaw

Try checking the actual properties of the GFS job, sorry if I assume your doing a GFS, but in the rotation screen there should also be an option (global, so it will override your normal backup option selection) for append media. Make sure this is selected!!!! Also, make sure the backup options is set to append media as well, can't hurt....

guru

I backup one win98 WS using veritas 8.6v, HD space is using 2.6 GB. When I used 4 MM backup tape (4GB size), full back up, the data is over 4 gb and still asking for another tape. Help...why the backup size is so big..I stopped backup job because I know something is wrong but where..???

"Try checking the actual properties of the GFS job, sorry if I assume your doing a GFS, but in the rotation screen there should also be an option (global, so it will override your normal backup option selection) for append media."

Sorry to be less than intelligent on how to do that but can you tell me how to look at the properties for the GFS? I only have a space to add or delete the check for GFS and append option.

Well, there are two places to do it. there is the check boxes your talking about for a GFS, and then there is the options button near the "run/schedule" button. In these options you can also set append as well.

good luck :)

guru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back