Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incremental Back-up?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

njava

Programmer
Aug 29, 2002
US
Hello all.
Here is my problem:
"I have a file with 100 lines. Today in the morning, I take its back-up. During the day, I delete line no. 1 to 5 and add 15 more lines at end of the file.
Tomorrow morning, I want to take a back-up in which, my original file (1st back up) should remain intact. The 100 lines should remain the same AND the additional 15 lines should be appended to this backed up file!!
Is there any such backup-tool/Utility to do this???"

Thanks in advance for any help anybody can offer.
njava

I would doubt it. If you're backing up to disk, using a unique name every backup and just using the copy command, I'm sure it could easily be scripted.

It sounds like you are looking for version control systems, instead of backup tools.

To most backup solutions (that I know), a file is included in an incremental backup as soon as it has been touched - further more the backup tool does not only backup the diff of the files, but the entire file.

Version control systems (like RCS or CVS) on the other hand, is able to do a diff and a merge of the file, which means that they will only store the changes.

So to reach your final goal - only to backup up the differences, you might want to consider setting up a version control system, and then in term back this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back