Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Increasing internal network speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquahalo

Technical User
Aug 17, 2005
US
I have a server that needs to have large amounts of data transferred to it via other computers in our internal gigabit network. Is there a way to increase the speed of this using multiple NICs or something. I need to basically transfer gig's of information from 2 computers to this server at the same time each at gigabit speed if possible. Is this even possible?

Thanks.

I should imagine that multiple NIC's would mean multiple networks and lots of reconfiguration.

I presume the PC's have Gigabit NIC's aswell as the Server and are using Cat 5e cable?

Should still be very fast if the above is true!

I should imagine there will be a way to do it but it will probably be awkward....

Is the server capable of handling the increased bandwidth? Disks, processor, memory and the like.

Yes we are running an entire gigabit network with all CAT 6 cable. The server has dual xeons with 4 GB memory and a large SATA RAID. When transferring data from 2 computers to the server things slow down. It would be nice to have one transfer over one NIC and then the other detect that the 1st NIC is being used alot and move to the 2nd. I might just be dreaming though.

REMEMBER gig e-net does not necessarily mean faster.
What about: nics,memory,cpu(s),data busses,i/o buss,disk i/o,etc.
Tune your system(tweak)you should notice a difference.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

Yes you can have two 1gb cards connected to the same network using "adapter teaming/network pairing" (different card manufacters use different names). When you install either a dual port card or two single port cards the manufacturer's drivers will normally have a feature to allow both to operate (major brands such as Intel and HP etc.) on the same network. It is commonly used for redundancy but can also be used to double/triple/+ the available bandwidth.

As already mentioned above, check that your server's disk array is quick enough to cope.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Your switch would also need to be able do etherchanneling in Cisco's terms .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back