Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Increasing file space 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

agape234

Programmer
Oct 10, 2001
US
I have a Solaris 9 platform. Up and running with default files system(s) config. This is in use so I cannot rebuild and adjust root, var or usr. I need to increase these file systems. At present all are under root. Also I have added a second hard drive and want to link /opt to that new drive so I can install some apps. /opt is the default install location for the app. What is the process for linking /opt to a new disc location. And increase the file system size for root, /var and /usr. These are some pretty basic skills for a SysAdmin but I am trying to refresh these skills after years of sleeping!!!

Thanks

Also, I need to increase swap space and since this is normally put into /, this will increase the likelyhood that / is going to grow beyond the 68%

Well for Solaris 8 I usually start off with these defaults, then tweak them:
/ - 800MB - 1GB
swap - Double your RAM depending on function
/usr - 2GB
/export/home - Depends on how many user's
/var - 4GB
/opt - 4GB

It all depends on what your server is used for (ie: Oracle you would want more swap space). / does not need to be that big as long as you separate /opt, /var, and /usr.

You can also allocate a slice for your swap (ie: /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1).

I need to get the following information from a Solaris 2.8 server:

* processor speed
* allocation of memory for each application
*max number of concurrent connections or logins allowed
*is the server raid configured

I am new to this, any help would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back