Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

increase virtual memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew299

Technical User
Nov 18, 2002
GB
Hello I want to increase the size of my virtual memory.
I am using NT 4.0 on my workstation with 4GB of physical RAM. I have increased the virtual memeory to its maximum of 4095MB and windows wont let me set that any higher.
The reason I need so much memeory is because I have created a model that requires 6.5GB RAM to run. but windows only uses 2GB of the Physical RAM leaving me just short at 6GB. I have 28GB left on my hard disk is there a way of overiding the windows setting of 4095? or would partioning or the addition of a second hard disk to split pagefile.sys increase the virtual memory?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Andrew299

It may have hit every branch on its way out of the ugly tree, but hey! It works. (but don't quote me on that)

sorry forgot to post my solution

There is a page file size limit on Windows NT of 4095Mb. To overcome this problem, I have had to make a couple of changes in the registery. You have to create two folders in Winnt call Pagefile1, and Pagefile2. You then have to go into the registery and go to;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\MemoryManagement

Find the pagingfiles vaule, and then double-click it to open it and delete the vaule and add the following;

c:\winnt\pagefile1\pagefile.sys 3000 4000
c:\winnt\pagefile1\pagefile.sys 3000 4000

Reboot the PC and this will allow you to have 8Gb of Virtual Memory.

ANDREW299

It may have hit every branch on its way out of the ugly tree, but hey! It works. (but don't quote me on that)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back