Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Increase number of concurrent connections to one WinXP machine 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wantabie

Programmer
Apr 29, 2004
US
Is there a way to increase the maximum number of concurrent connections to a share that is located on a Windows XP machine?

I am trying to house a vital database that multiple users access at once on an windows XP workstation, when the server is down for long periods of time. I have created shares and multiple users are able to access the db. However, the workstation will only allow 10 consective connections, at any given time. Is there a way to increase the number from 10 to 20+?

Wantabie,

This is an imposed limit by MS for workgroups. There is no direct method to extend this.

I assume you are using a client/server DB. You might investigate installing it to a NAS device.

If not C/S and the application is local to each client with the DB central this would work quite nicely, either all the time or when server is down.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Thank you, rvnguy, for your response. Yes i believe you are corect. It is a MS imposed limt and no direct way to change it.

However, please, explain this NAS type device. It is a database that uses an application front end (local to each workstation) and the backend is housed on the server.

Have a look at Bill Castner's thoughts in this thread.

Require more than 10 logins - How
thread779-962365

Wantabie,

Hope that you looked at linney's redirection to bcastner's comments. These guys are top of the heap so to speak.

I had not considered 98SE as an option but can see where it might be a viable option as a stand-in FS as it would accept uncounted incoming connections.

NAS was/is a storage appliance that is used in IT centers fairly widely for the advantages it can provide. Basically off loads FS duties to the appliance. Most enterprise level devices for this require a server for authentication.

There is a flood of so called "NAS devices" that use ethernet to connect, (not to be confused with an external HD) now available for the consumer. They are designed to house data, movies, music, photos and the like and these do not require server authentication. They are dubbed a "NAS un-appliance".

Some are single drive (can be up to 300-500GB) and there are others that can be configured as RAID 0, 1. or 5 for data security.

You might look at a couple of these and note that they might be a security risk due to the lack of requiring server authentication. It is your data & you make that decision.

Buffalo

SimpleTech

Maxtor

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Thank you guys very much for your information. It has been very useful...

The Buffalo Terrastation looks really interesting. It has up to 1.2 TERABYTES in a RAID 5 config. And is fairly in-expensive (around $1,500). It is also networkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back