Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incorrect memory Dimms Installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

57chevy

Programmer
Jan 4, 2000
US
I have a Gateway 420GR with an Intel E210882 mobo. After installing two new Memory Dimms, I attempted to reboot. Nothing appeared on my monitor. I reinstalled the old Memory Dimms. Still nothing.
When I try to reboot:
(1) my monitor light first glows green, then becomes amber.
(2) the keyboard lights flash green and then go out. The keyboard appears not to be working - When trying to turn on the numlock, I get no results.
(3) the fans turn on and stay on
I removed the Hard Drive and installed it in another box. It booted.
I tried the keyboard and monitor with another box. They work.

HELP - NOW WHAT DO I DO?

do a bios reset (clear cmos)

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

I tried a bios reset. I unplugged the machine, removed the battery, tried to turn the machine on, and let it set for about an hour.
I then reinstalled the battery and turned on the machine. The fan comes on, the keyboard lights briefly and then goes out. The monitor light is first green and then goes amber. It does not appear to try to boot.
I've also moved the cap from pins 1 & 2 to 2 & 3 at the bios jumper for approximately 10 seconds and then put it back to 1 & 2.
Still nothing.
I had attempted to install:
Two Kingston - Memory - 1 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR2 - 400 MHz / PC2-3200 - unbuffered
I thought they were properly seated, turned the machine on, it went thru the steps I stated above. I removed the memory, actually examined it next to the existing memory chips and then realized how different they were.

does it any beeps when turned on?
either its the psu, the processor or the mobo that got damaged.
did you try to get into bios?

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

Lemon13 said:
or the mobo that got damaged.
I too believe that may be the case...

see:

the Gateway 420GR Computer takes the PC3200 DDR SDRAM DIMMs
source: memorystock.com

and
I had attempted to install:
Two Kingston - Memory - 1 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR2 - 400 MHz / PC2-3200 - unbuffered

how it was accomplished, I would have no idea, since there are Physical differences of the DIMM slots...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I removed the memory, actually examined it next to the existing memory chips and then realized how different they were.

Yup, I've done it and so has the guy sat behind me...

Actually you can fit them, it's a design quirk we both noticed. What happens is if the slot has no end caps the module will fit off centre and appear to lock in, but the pins in no way line up (due to the fact there are far more of them). This behaviour can easily ruin the pins contacts on the slots.

It's an easy mistake to make, as many places simply label them as PC3200 and it's only when you look at the details do you see the pin count.

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back