Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incorrect data of column 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsusnik

Technical User
Aug 23, 2001
SI
I have two columns (id, code) from one table. Id is a number, code is a string. The correct output would be:
1,00 01245
2,00 01465
3,00 02546

But I get the output:
1,00 1
2,00 2
3,00 3

The code gets the same value as id but it is still a string. I get the same result when I browse data.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi "tsusnik"
Try doing a verify database command.
Database Menu > Verify Database

-PKG

No, that doesn't do it. I get the message "The database is up to date." and everything stays the same.

Tomaz

Are you sure that the field which is showing 1,2,3 is "code". When you move your mouse over the field it shows the database field name. Make sure that it is nothing but the code.
It should show the actual values. 01245, 01465, 02546.

-- PKG

Pradeep Kumar Gupta
Data Warehouse Consultant.
E-Mails: pradeep.k.gupta@indiainfo.com
pradeep.gupta@morganstanley.com

It definitely is "code" and it definitely is a string although I have no formula at all.

This problem is very curious. Could there be some problem with the database (Oracle 8i)? But when I select the data with a query in SQL Plus the result is correct.

Tomaz

S T R A N G E !!

I have not come across any such situation.
May be there is some problem in database drivers.

Try one more thing, Do a "show sql" and copy the sql from there, Run that SQL in another query tool like SQL plus and see what result it is giving.

--PKG *************************
Pradeep Kumar Gupta
Data Warehouse Consultant.
E-Mails: pradeep.k.gupta@indiainfo.com
pradeep.gupta@morganstanley.com

As usually in such cases it was a stupid mistake of mine. The user of the database was wrong! I was using table user1.table instead of user2.table.

Thanks a lot - your last answer helped me. I saw my mistake in the Show SQL.

Very sorry for bothering you.

Tomaz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back