Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inconsistency in Accessing W2K server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have the following problem:

To logon to my domain is quite fast with no mentionable speed delays (Verification). The server resides on a LAN within the same IP range as the clients (Server, IP Static). I have found that copying to and from the server to be very slow and then just out of the sudden everything picks up for a few moments or even mintes and then back to slow. I have gone through all the connections and it's fine. The inconsistency worries me...Any ideas please...

Does the server have a RAID array, if so what level? If so do you have write-caching enabled? How many people are using it? Are the hard drives 5400, 7200, 10K, or 15K RPM? If not RAID, are your drives at least SCSI? Marc Creviere

There are a number of reasons for network speed slowdowns. The number one problem I have come accross is ISP conjestion and hard drive set up. I have a client with a full block 256 static ip addresses. I found it necessary to set up a small nat router for users inhouse, and static for the servers. If you are using static IP's, and your ISP is conjested, you can have this problem. DSL and T1 fram-relay can be throttled by your ISP, even your router. I setup Nat on a small router and throttled the users within the office and had a performance improvement. I setup SCSI raid 5 on the servers and this also balanced file transfer. Again, your ISP could be your problem. One other thing, check your network card for problems. If you reboot and the problem seems to improve right after a reboot, I would check your NIC card and is this the only NIC card doing this. Are there any services running in the background, like tape backup, firewalls, and ect...

You do not specify what OSs are involved in the copy process, e.g. Win2kServer to Win2kPro or vice versa or Win2k to WinNT or Win98. Also what protocols do you have installed. For local area network traffic using the NETBEUI protocol is best suited, it is much faster than TCP/IP. If you have both protocols installed on a Win2k PC then NETBEUI will be the default protocol used unless you have changed the default. However, if one of the PC's you are copying to or from is Win98 or NT then TCP/IP will be the default protocol used unless you have changed the default. I recommend setting NETBEUI protocol as the default protocol within a LAN in order to maximize speed.
Also if you have hardware such as hubs or switches between the PC which are doing the copying, you might want to look at those pieces of equipment as possible problems.

(Sorry I shouls have mentioned this)

I am using RAID5 (Cheetah SCSI) on (W2K-A-Server). The clients using for the trial run (1 XW in'95) and (1 XW 2k-Pro). I have checked with Network Monitor regarding broadcasts and related problems, none apart when copying form the mentioned server the network util only goes up to between 10-20%. When I disconnect the server from the LAN and directly to one of the 2 clients the speed sometimes increases. I replaced the 3Com LAN card...Can DNS or WINS let something like this happen? Thanks...

Nothing in the event viewer about controller failures or anything about hard disks ?

Check your network Hardware and cabling. This seems to me as collision in the network. Collisions happen for many reasons, among them (high load on the network, bad cabling, bad NIC in one of the clients)
If you have a switch instead of a HUB, then check the server cable first (that if you find the problem in many workstation.

Other possible cause
The server might be busy with some kind of overwhelming service/application .
Try to monitor the processes running.

at last ( or should I say in the begining!)Try to use performance monitor to isolate if it is a (Processor, Memory, HD, or network Problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back