Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incomplete Install Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philidor

Technical User
Nov 25, 2001
US
Tried to install IE 6 on 98se and got a message saying there was a prior incomplete installation and setup wouldn't run until I had rebooted. I hadn't added anything for a while, but I rebooted anyway and nothing changed; same incomplete install message.
When this happened on IE 5.5 a year ago, someone no longer at work with me told me a workaround so that I could get setup to work. I didn't write it down, and I've forgotten it. Could someone tell me again? (The incomplete install went away afterward for other Windows downloads, apparently.)
Also, does the system record anywhere what this incompletely installed program is supposed to be?
Thanks!

Look in add/remove programs, see if there is a listing for IE6 or IE5.x if one or the other is there try to repair from there. slect add/remove and follow inst. to repair, re-install old, or remove. you can find more at MSKB look for Q277552. there are a few thing you can check out..

Used the Repair function in Add/Remove programs.
I was trying to install IE 6 over IE 6 as part of my attempt to fix the java problem posted elsewhere on this board. (I removed the Sun Java plug-in 1.4 and IE 6.0 wouldn't recognize the presence of Microsoft's JVM no matter how often I installed it. Eventually I put the Sun plug-in back on.)
Anyway, the Repair function wouldn't work because it said I had too old a version of advpack.dll (I had version 4.5; it needed version 6.0). I eventually found that by re-installing the May IE security patch I could update the .dll.
After all that, I still couldn't get rid of the Incomplete Install error. Checking out Q277552.
Thanks!

Have you tried a complete un-install of IE6? #-) "More Than Merely Names"
YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN

Well, I could go back to an older version of IE according to the menu you get when you try to 'remove' IE 6, as you know. Problem is, if something goes wrong, even though I have the Windows Update Setup folder on my c: drive, I know that it won't let me install anything because of the Incomplete Install problem I'm asking about. I tried it without doing anything in Add/Remove.
I once had IE go completely dead after an update; no response at all from the IE shortcut. Setup did work that time; makes a good repair kit, when you can use it.
So, I'd been thinking of what you're asking as my last resort.
Thanks for the attention you've been giving this.

I'd go with that option, then delete the folder that has the temp files for IE6 and then try the windows update link for a new copy of Ie6.

That should work, GOOD LUCK!! "More Than Merely Names"
YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back