Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incomplete Downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

markt

MIS
Sep 7, 1999
GB
PHi

Can anyone give me some advice on troubleshooting download problems please?

A collaboration site I use has PDFs which I need to download. However consistantly they will fail. The site has a download monitor which does not give any clues as to what has gone wrong.

If I open the PDF's in notepad the ones which have failed look like they are missing data at the end. I have put a packet sniffer on the connections but I am not really sure what information I can get from this data.

Can anyone give me any advice please?

Thanks

Hi:

You could set a filter to search the TCP flags and see, first, which station is sending the "fin" or "reset" flag, in order to see if the application server has problems with resources.

Another possible point of failure can be a firewall. If data is transversing a firewall, it could be the problem. See if the flags come from it and available bandwidth . Also capture traffic from the server side and see response times.

Hope this helps.

Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back