Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incomplete Backup Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrkano

IS-IT--Management
Jul 26, 2004
US
I ran a full backup job on Friday, it ran for quite some time, and looked like it backed up everything, however, I received an alert via email saying that the job was Incomplete....but it doesn't say why.

So, now I'm ready to change tapes in my tape library, because today it should run a differential backup, should change my tapes?

I'm not even sure why the Job was labeled as incomplete. How can I find out why it was incomplete, and does that mean my full backup is no good?

What version of ArcServe are you using? I run a full backup everyday and the log file always tells me incomplete. I was worried about it at first but upon looking into it there was nothing to fear. The incomplete is given, at least in my case, because of a few corrupt files that I can't seem to delete. Everything else gets backed up and I am able to restore everything back as well. If I had a version of software you were using I could tell you how to check a little better. Your log file would be your best friend in this case though. Hope this helps.

We use Arcserve 7.0 and my experience has shown that if for any reason one file fails to get backed up then the job will show an "incomplete". Perhaps a file was open and Arcserve could not back it up so therefore the job would be "incomplete". As far as I know an "incomplete" only means some file did not backup but the rest of the job ran successfully. Look at the Job Log of that job and you will probably see the file that failed to backup. To make you feel better you might try just restoring one file from the last session.

I'm running version 9.0. I did look in the log and everything appears to be fine, but as you say, there were a few files that did not get backed up (Either because they were open or otherwise)...so I just wanted to make sure that my backup, was in fact, good and useable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back