Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incomplete backup due to Perflib_Perfdata? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

1skywalker1

Programmer
Jun 4, 2002
US
I'm using pre and post batches to turn off everything that may conflict with the backup and I've got this thing working great almost every time... once in a while, however, I get an imcomplete due to sharing violations on the following files:

c:\WINNT\system32\Perflib_Perfdata_650.dat
c:\WINNT\system32\Perflib_Perfdata_6a0.dat

Looking around the net, It seems like those files have something to do with performance monitoring and the event viewer. Does anyone know more? Is it a service that I can stop and restart?

Thanks.

This is what I found about some of the file's on which it error's out -

The %SystemRoot%\System32\Perflib_Perfdataxxx.dat files are created by the System Monitor. When you shutdown normally, the file should be deleted.

If you have an abormal shutdown, these files can become orphaned, and accumulate on your computer.

Under some yet to be determined circumstances, these files can become orphaned during normal operation.

The best way to remove these files is to add a command in a logon script:

del /q %SystemRoot%\System32\Perflib_Perfdata*.dat

DatabaseBaba

I have deleted these files manualy, however, there are times when they are in use and cannot be backed up with the open file agent. Does anyone know if I can set a job filter using wildcards to filter these files?

Thanks

The file is use by SNMP service. Stop the service, it disappear

These file warnings are supposed to be ignored, but it was not working. This was corrected in T146288 on Nov 30.

This was corrected in T146288 on Nov 30 September 30[sup]th[/sup].

As a side note, you can add your own entries in [tt]HKLM\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\ARCserveIT\Base\Task\Common\IgnoreShareViolationsOn[/tt] to ignore other open files when not using the Open File Agent.

Modify the job.
Click the filter button.
Exclude files of type:
C:\winnt\system32\perflib_perfdata_*.dat
Click add.
Resubmit your job.
No more problem.

I have the same problem... What I have read from other posts is it might have something to do with SMTP Service but even when I stop that service I still can not delete the associated .dat file. Still looking cause I would like one backup to be complete.

CA has a Test fix for this Issue ....

Get in touch with support DatabaseBaba...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back