Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incompatible power switch/LED connector 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

slingo

Technical User
Aug 4, 2001
GB
I'm trying to upgrade a HP Pavillion 8685 with an ASRock mobo but the case power switch connector is seven pins wide (black, green, space, then yellow, black, red, black) but there is no comparative connection on the mobo for it. According to the manual, the relevant connector is only 3 pins wide. Is it possible to adapt this in some way or should I just get a new case?

I'd use the opportunity to get a new case but if you are halfway coordinated you can either cut the connector apart or pull (carefully) the connectors out of the plastic and hook them up individually. Make sure you have a printout of what wire does what BEFORE you mess with the plug.

usual steps would be to cut the wires and splice on the correct type connectors. Black and green are probably the power led normally with a space between on older boards. The other pairs go to 2 mosition molex.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I have done this with an old Compaq case I had with a one piece panel plug. I cut the plug apart with an exacto knife. It was kind of fun (or dorky ;-)) to do. As franklin said, make sure to do your research on what goes where.

Enjoy!

I also use a sharp, break-off type knife. I heat it up a bit to help with cutting, but you dont have to.
I put something solid behind the piece i want to cut.
If you cut a bit more or nick one of the sides then simply put a dab of crazy glue where the nick is and let it dry and you are good to go. You can also cut thin piece of electrical tape and cover the nick. But thats only if you dont do the job perfect. I dont know how i came up with these ways to fix nics as I always do it perfect. Wanna hear another lie?

Its great if you know where to put each wire but if they are only for power\on\off and leds then you dont really have anything to worry about. Use the screwdriver method to find the power\on pins and the reset is usually beside or across from that. From there its easy to find the rest.
But thats only for power\on, reset, and leds. If you have wires for anything else i cant advise on that.
You mention 3 pins and most on\off power is only 2 pins so maybe you are talking about something else and i am off base here.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Earlier power was 3 pin gn,blank,black with 2 next to it as keylock, or as a 5 pin set gn,blank,black, and 2 other colors as keylock.
But I don't remember the 5s since 486s, and the 3 pin power has been replaced on modern MBs by 2 pin.

Ed Fair

Gee, i wonder if slingo has an old AT with an old AT style power supply.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Thanks guys. I'm still confused as to what wire goes where - its a brand new mobo but it does have a 3 pin connection but I've no idea which of the 3 pins to use if I'm only connecting two of the wires. Upon further investigation, the red and black wires go to the switch, the yellow and black and the green and black ones are for the hard drive activity LED and for the power LED respectively. What do I do with the other wires??

Power led with 3 pins usually has the blank in the middle.
What other wires? Switch pair go to a power up pair on the M/B. Should have a reset pair for the M/B, and a usual red/white for the HDD. Turbo led remains disconnected and turbo switch remains disconnected.

Did you get a manual with the M/B? They usually have the connection data buried in the middle somewhere, but you may have some problems understanding the syntax of the instructions thought up in Chinese and interpreted to printed English.

Ed Fair

Ahhhhh....Nothing like Chinese to English translations to add despair to your confusion....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back