Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incoming mail deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

scc

Programmer
Apr 30, 2001
US
I have Outlook 2000, IE 6, XP Pro and Norton Anti-Virus.

All of a sudden my incoming mail is deleted upon arrival.

Any idea what's going on?

TIA

is it deleting all of your email from everyone? or is it just a couple or one person's? "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

It's deleting almost all of my incoming mail. This morning it showed I had 9 messages. 2 came through to my In box.

I did a test... I have a rule set up to delete messages that have a list of dirty words in them. I changed it last night to have the "dirty word email" to go to a folder instead. The remaining 7 all went to the "dirty" folder, even though none of them contained any of the dirty words and were legitimate, important emails.

Any for whatever reason, I used to get email notifications from tek-tips and now I don't. I just had to come here to see if anyone responded.

My ISP reset my mailbox yesterday???

Hi

Sounds like your rules are the cuase of your problem, remove all rules, try it, you will more than likely find that it works then put them back 1 by 1 to isolate which rule is causing the prob hope this helps :)

I agree... problem is I only had one rule, and there really is no reason it should have done this. It was just searching for certain words and if the words existed it was set up to delete the mail. However, it deleted the mail even if the words didn't exist. Therefore was wondering if anyone else had had this problem with Outlook.

Thanks for responding.

scc, are you sure those words didn't exist? I don't use Outlook's rules to search for particular words, so I could be wrong about this (feel free to correct me if I am). For example, doesn't a rule for the word car also catch carnage and nascar?

Yes, you are right, but every single email?

Something just wasn't right...

I'll do another double take now that it's been a couple of weeks, but the words were not so simple (as, of etc.) but rather specific longer words... words I sure wouldn't post on this or any other forum.

I have found with rules you have to be very carefull with the "dirty" words , never more than one in any rule.Specific Words in the body of the message are prone to cause problems. I try to stay with the"From" and the "Too " in my rules. Kelly

Are you sure its being deleted and not moved elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back