Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incoming call doesn't ring on a 500 set (Fax line)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allenness

IS-IT--Management
Dec 8, 2010
US
I have an Option 11 system, and for some reason, inbound calls on a fax line aren't ringing anymore, so the fax machine can't receive a fax. If I know when the call is coming in, I can manually start the fax to receive, or answer a voice call on that line, so the line itself is fine, but there is no ringing.

Occasionally, if I call that line from another set, after a couple of minutes there could be very brief ring, like a fraction of a second...as if it's trying hard to make it ring, then nothing again. Occasionally, it rings a tad longer, just enough for the fax to answer automatically, but most of the time, nothing. I created a new set, tried different jack, different DN... nothing.

I am guessing there's a problem with the analog card, which is failing to send correct signal, or enough voltage for ringing, but I don't know much about it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Plug in a phone and see if that rings when you call it. If so, start by rebooting your fax just to make sure a power hit didn't scramble some of the programming.
Bottom line though, if the phone rings correctly the issue is in the fax.

Nope... phone does the same thing. Thanks!

Do you have another analog card with available TN's you can rebuild it on (don't move it as there may be programming issues?

I may have a spare analog card, but I'm not sure how complicated it is rebuilding stuff. At this point it's not crucial, since I had a standalone line that I moved the fax to, but I just wanted to know for future reference, in case we need another fax line and have to put it through the PBX.

If you have one that works you could try copying that to the existing TN, just changing the number, to test if software or hardware is causing the issue.

I created a new 500 set on a different TN and assigned a different number. It did the same thing, so I'm thinking it has to be the entire analog card that's acting goofy...

Thanks very much for your advice!

Are you sure its not the wall port or line jack unit, they have a capacitor in them for analogue devices to allow the ringing current to pass through, if the capacitor is missing or faulty analogue phones will not ring.

Yeah, I tried it in another location too. I tried using different TN, different DN, different jack, and different set... nothing seems to help.

on the same card your Tn would be like 120-0-0-12 and a new card it would be 84-0-0-12.

Go to ld 20
req=luvu
type=500

then enter through and see if you have more availble analog cards/port to try the new phone on.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

If this happens on all the analog ports in that cabinet/chassis you may have an issue with the ring generator which is part of the power supply. If you have an 11C Cabinet the supply is a slide out module but on the 11C Chassis the whole chassis would have to be replaced.

islefan - interesting you should mention the power supply. I dead power supply a year or so ago and picked up replacement on Ebay. I wonder if it's defective. Everything else works ok though... It is a slide-out module. I have a spare too... might try replacing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back