Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inclusive between 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

vb4me

Programmer
Nov 27, 2001
US
Hello,

I have a query that selects data between 2 dates. Say the 1st of May and the 30th of May.

The query works fine except that it does not select records for the 30th. If I want to select dates for the 30th I need to push it 1 day ahead.

Is there a way of making the criteria inclusive?

I have seen where the end date of a between does not include the last date before. The problem was that the date field being analyzed was updated with the Now() function which included the time portion of the day. So when you compare between two dates and the last date is May 30 it is comparing to 5/30/2003 0:00 AM. So, a date of 5/30/2003 9:00 am would not be selected. If the field was filled with the Date() function and the time portion was 00:00 am then it would be selected.

Let me know if this seems to be the problem or not.

Bob Scriver

Thanks Daniel. That one drove me nuts at one time. Something that you don't think about but you must be careful when using the Now() function. There are unknown values there that maybe you don't want to be included.

Bob Scriver

Bob is right about the time protion but there are some easy ways around the problem with the between function.

One is to use the format function to only evaluate the date part of the date field.

Where Format(yourdate,"Short Date") between ParmBegin and ParmEnd

You can use any function that will strip off only the integer part (date part) of the date field

where cdate(yourdate) between cdate(ParmBegin) and cdate(ParmEnd) ' or any other function that does the same thing.

OR add the time to the Parm end date.
Dim ParmEnd as string
ParmEnd = "01/01/03 23:59:59"

Where yourdate between ParmBegin and ParmEnd

Almost posted over your comments with the same workaround. Both of these are excellent ways to get this comparison to work without having to perform major surgery on the table.

Deserves a Star!

Bob Scriver

Thanks to all of you who have responded - I have not had time to make changes but it definitely explains things to me and should fix my problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back