Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Include local variable in cursor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpops

Programmer
Mar 12, 2003
US
Hi Gurus,

Can I get some help. I wanted to get the following code to return a result that using dml to include local variable both in cloumn side and table side. Sorry for the confusion. It is much easier to look at the code. Please...

JohnZ
858-5462023
johnz@missionfcu.org

Declare @tname varchar(25), @cname varchar(25)
Declare output_cursor CURSOR FOR
select tablename, columnname
from ref_sl where flag = 'Y'

Open output_cursor
Fetch Next from output_cursor INTO @tname, @cname
while @@fetch_status = 0
begin
--This is the line I want to use, but didn't work
--EXEC ('SELECT ' + @tname +', ' + @cname + ', count(' + @cname + ')' + ' FROM ' + @tname + ' group by ' + @cname)
Print 'Table Name: ' + @tname + ' Column Nmae: ' + @cname
EXEC ('SELECT COUNT(*) AS TotalCount FROM ' + @TNAME)
EXEC ('SELECT ' + @cname + ', count(' + @cname + ') as GroupCount' + ' FROM ' + @tname + ' group by ' + @cname)
fetch next from output_cursor INTO @tname, @cname
end

--select @@cursor_rows
close output_cursor
deallocate output_cursor

This makes it work. Thanks.

Can you explain why use the '' + @tname +'', which is two single quotes back to back twice to delimit? If I use a constant instead of variable. Will this be same. Very appreciated.

John

If you remove the two single quotes, then you will encounter the same problem you had when you first posted. The name of the table will be treated as a column name and because it doesn't exist as a column in the table, the statement wil' errror. The two adjacent single quotes wil become 1 single quote in the SQL Statment. This will cause SQL Server to recognize the value as a literal rather than a column name. The statemnt will look like the following.

SELECT TblName='YourTableName', ColumnName, RowCnt=count(*) FROM YourTableName group by ColumnName

Without the single quotes it would look like this.

SELECT TblName=YourTableName, ColumnName, RowCnt=count(*) FROM YourTableName group by ColumnName
If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874 and faq183-3179.
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:

Terry,

This is very thorough even better than MSDN support line. Thanks for all.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back