Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Include List - Not working ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazrimt

MIS
Jun 21, 2003
US
Hello, This one has me 100% stumped any help would be appreciated. None of my client side Includes or Excludes seem to be working.

Master Server - Solaris8 - Veritas NetBackup Datacenter Edition 4.5GA
Clients - WindowsXP - 4.5GA
----

Server Side for policy "web"
Scheduled Full - "daily" - C:\data.log
Schedule Full - "weekly" - ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
Clients - web1, web2, web3... web12
-------
On the server web1, I also need to backup D:\uploads\*.*
daily. And I want to exclude the D:\ drive on web12 during weekly backups.

The server side settings work fine, on the web1 I..
1.) Logon as an administrator
2.) Launch Backup, Archive, and Restore - NetBackup
3.) File --> NetBackup Client Properties --> Include List
4.) Click "New List"
5.) Policy: "web"
6.) Schdule: "daily"
7.) Include File "D:\uploads"
***Note: I also tried D:\uploads
I turned logging on to maximum on both the server and client and restarted the service on the client. When the scheduled daily job runs only the C:\data.log is backed up. I cannot even find a *mention* of the Include list in any of the log files. Same thing happens with the exclude list, the client side configurations are completely ignored and seemingly provide no clue as to the cause.

*Any* advice would be extremely appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Maz

On the clients - Open REGEDT32 and browse to HKLM\Software\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config ...
Look for the key that says exclude. The first line should read CLASS:policy_name (Double check your master to verify the full policy name and case sensitivity)
All excludes follow. The same should be true for the includes key.

A quick question, does the include_list and exclude_list in Unix clients works the same way as the Windows client?

For e.g., in Unix clients, we would configure the include_list and exclude_list in /usr/openv/netbackup/ directory. So, in Windows client, can we configure it in the C:\Program Files\Veritas\Netbackup\ directory?

I am having a similar problem to mazrimt. We have excluded a particular directory to be omitted from the backup using the exclude_list.<Policy_Name> but unfortunately, NetBackup ignores it.

Where am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance ...

NT/W2k is done through the registry and Unix is through a file - To the best of my recollection, no - You cannot do W2K systems like Unix.

Hi comtec,

The exclude_list.<Policy_name> contains simply the &quot;D:\Downloads\&quot; directory (without the double-quotes).

Hi PGPhantom,
You mentioned that for NT/W2k is done through the registry ... does that mean we have to use the regedit to make the changes? I am not comfortable to toy around with the registry. Anyways, is there any known http links that shows how to go about doing it? Or maybe you can help in this area&quot; =)

Thank you all for the contribution ..

PGPhantom > The include key matches correctly, I have & I have no exclude key

ksetia > If you read my original post I spell out the documented way to configure excludes/includes. The actual list is contained as they say in the registry.

anyone have any other ideas?

Comtec17 my include key looks like this
CLASS:web SCHED:daily D:\uploads

If you have no excludes, you cannot have any includes. Includes only include something that has been excluded. E.g. Say you have excluded d:\test\ but inside test there is a subdirectory called sub, then your include would be d:\test\sub\.

You do not have to edit the registry - You can do the excludes/includes from the GUI by browsing to the client from ... NetBackup Management -> Host Properties -> Client and double clicking on the client. On the client there is an excludeand an includetab - This is where you make the changes.

From my recollection - If you have a schedule specific exclude, you cannot have an include in the policy for an exclude from a schedule. Also - You cannot combine lists. If you have a schedule specific exclude and include, excludes created in the policy will not take effect as the excludes are read from the bottom up == Does this make sense?

What I have done ... For all my ppolicies I have a set exclude list. When I want to exclude something specific in a particular schedule - I add ALL excludes and add anything new - That way, my standard excludes are still excluded - I battled with this for a long time and I finally have it all working.

Hi PGPhantom,

Thanks for the info ... however, the exclude/include list from the GUI that you mentioned is only available in NetBackup 4.5. Ours, which is NetBackup 3.4 does not have that option. We have searched all the available option in 3.4 but to no avail. Fyi, in 3.4, the options are
1) Storage Unit Management
2) Backup Policy Management
3) Device Monitor
4) Activity Monitor
5) Reports, and
6) Media and Device Management

We tried to search something similar to &quot;NetBackup Management -> Host Properties -> Client&quot; but nothing ...

The client option in the &quot;Backup Policy Management&quot; for the 3.4 does not have a Properties option where we can input the exclude/include list.

It is definitely available in 3.4 - There is an option where you can see the master server, all media servers and then all clients. You can click on each individually to bring up the properties. As long as you have an admin console - You will get the options.

Hi PGPhantom,

Even after using the root password, we were still unable to bring up the properties of the client in NetBackup 3.4 (UNIX) as there isn't any.

We clicked on the &quot;Backup Policy Management&quot; and followed by the &quot;All Clients&quot;. Then we right-clicked on any one of the clients, but the available options are:

01) Delete
02) Change
03) Manual Backup

This is different if it is NetBackup 4.5 (UNIX). Here, we select &quot;NetBackup Management -> Host Properties -> Clients&quot;. Right clicking on any one of the clients, the available options presented to us are:

01) Properties
02) Export
03) Refresh Selected
04) Refresh
05) Select All

If we were to select the &quot;Properties&quot;, we will presented with the entries for the exclude_list and include_list.

To sum up, there is no &quot;NetBackup Management&quot; in 3.4 (UNIX). Can anyone confirm this? If it is true that there is no &quot;NetBackup Management&quot; in 3.4 (UNIX), how then can we specify the include_list and exclude_list on a Win2K client other then going through the Registry on the client side.

Regards,
Kevin

Do you have a workstation (Windows) that you can install the admin console on to confirm?

Hi PGPhantom,

We managed to resolve the problem. Seems that you need to create the backup policy first on the master server before you can actually specify the include and/or exclude list on the client side through the client's NetBackup GUI.

Thanks all for the help rendered.

Regards,
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back