Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inaccurate memory display?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guyvernews

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2002
GB
Dear all,

Can you answer this question?

When you propertise "My Computer" and you view the amount of memory, how comes it is never accurate to the amount of memory you actually have?

Example: we have a IBM X360 server with 4GB of memory and it only displays 3,654,084 KB RAM.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks

Andy

What OS are you running? 'A world without donuts is like a donut without a hole.......wait that would mean more donut! I'm a Genius' Homer Simpson

Sorry for not mention which OS

Windows 2000 Server service pack 2

Thanks

Im not sure what the reported limit is on Win2k Server, I thought it was around 3.5gb ram. Perhaps there may be some faulty ram.

You could disable parity in the Bios....however if the amount of Ram is being reported correctly at POST, i wouldnt bother.

I presume that this is a just a reporting limitation of 2k.

Same as processor reporting in older O/S........

Let me know how you think

Marky 'A world without donuts is like a donut without a hole.......wait that would mean more donut! I'm a Genius' Homer Simpson

Thanks for the reply Marky

I don't think its faulty Ram.

I do know that Windows does not display Accurate Ram, but I am unsure why?

For instance, on my Windows 2000 Workstation, i have 256mb Ram, but it displays 260,528 Kb

But on the server there seem to be more of a discrepency.

Any ideas

Thanks

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back