Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inaccessible Boot Device Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

behapamo

MIS
Jan 12, 2000
US
Visit site
I tried to reinstall Windows NT 4.0 but I am getting<br>an Inaccessible Boot Device error on Setup disk 2. I am trying to reinstall Windows NT to dual boot with Windows 98.<br>This dual boot configuration has worked in my computer before but for some reason, whenever I try to boot, Windows 98 starts up automatically without displaying the Windows NT menu.<br><br>Thanks for your help.

What file system is the first primary partition? It has to be FAT16 to work with both NT & 98. The probable reason you do not see the NT Boot Menu is because the NT system files and the MBR on the boot drive have been replaced by 98 causing the unit to boot directly to 98. <p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Doug,<br><br>Yes, the file system are all FAT. I created three partitions. Windows NT is in partition 3.<br><br>Do you have any idea how I can get the Boot Menu back ?<br><br>I checked the boot.ini file and looks to be fine.<br><br>Thanks for any help.<br><br><br>

There could be a couple of things here...<br><br>The simplest problem and solution would be if only the system files for NT were missing. To recover from this you need to run NT setup and choose repair...when the repair options are presented you should choose the SYSTEM FILES option...this will restore the NT boot/system files and allow you to recover.<br><br>However, from the error message you describe there may be something else going on. I have never seen the inaccessible boot device error just because 98 was installed after NT.<br><br>Did you do any partition moving or stretching..i.e-with Partition Magic. Is NT on a logical drive in an extended partition or is it a primary partition....you will have problems if NT is installed outside of the 1024 HD cylinder limit.<br><br>Is your drive IDE or SCSI? Does the controller require an OEM driver or is it supported natively in NT? Just a few other things to look at.<br><br> <p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back