Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inaccessible boot device 7B error..

Status
Not open for further replies.

asthana

IS-IT--Management
Jun 30, 2003
US
Hi,

On a Toshiba Satellite 1555CDS laptop, I changed the Hard drive from a Simple Tech. HDD to a Fujitsu HDD from another laptop.
Fujitsu HDD already has Windows 2000 and the configuration I need.

On powering the laptop, I get to the Windows 2000 Professional start-up screen after which a BSOD with 'Inaccessible boot device' (STOP error 7B)appears. Re-starting the laptop a bunch of times did not help.

I did find a couple of links on the web wrt STOP errors and 7B errors in particular and it seems that since the HD controller for the new drive is missing, the system is not able to boot up.

How do I find the Hard Drive controller for the new drive and install it....please let me know the exact commands OR is the source of the problem different ?

Regards
Vishal

The exact source is the HD controller for the previous machine is being looked for when you boot your 2k install on the new machine. I ran into this problem a few times, One way to fix it is to boot the OS with the older machine. Uninstall the controller and such drivers from the device manager. Note* make sure you enable hidden devices as well as Ghosted Devices. Uninstall the device and then let windows auto detect the new one.

the old laptop has been damaged beyond repair and only
2 components could be extracted from it one being the HDD
and the other being the RAM.

Is there any other way of forcing windows to auto detect
the new machine ?

Its not that it doesnt try to auto detect? Its just the fact that the configuration held is a combination of chipsets info with driver info all tied together. If you were to plug in the drive and no BOSD, then the yeah the auto detect can work and it would setup your system. Im sure with alot of time and work around we can fix the issue and force the OS to boot. More then likely you may damage your OS further causing you to go to the next step to fix it. I suggest to skip the work around and reformat then reinstall. IF this is not a option for you , let me know and we can further discuss your issue. I just ran into your problem on one of my machines and I do have some updated knowlesge. Let me know and GOODLUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back