Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

inability to update some clipper files in server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbaril

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2009
US
Running a clipper application on server2003 and xp pro stations- previously in windows nt and windows 98 stations the problem seems to be inability to update some of the dbf files- dbf files can not be opened in Bro.exe in exclusive mode either- exclusive mode is grayed out- errors (unable to update file)

Is this a network issue?

any ideas?

This is probably a number of files open problem.

Every version of Windows seems to have it's own way of setting the number of files a DOS session can open.

In XP you add a FILES=200 line to the system32\config.nt file

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Griff

Does this go for the server 2003 machine also? Would this explain the inability to open the dbf files in exclusive mode in the bro utility as well.

I see you are an early riser also.

Jeff

Morning Jeff,

Yes an early riser just at the moment...

Yes it applies to server 2003, I can't test it here, but I think the config.nt method is the way to go.

See this thread:

thread288-737338

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thanks

I will try it and let you know.

Jeff

If bro.exe is running on the workstations, then you should think about the config.nt as the autoexec.nt as well on each workstation...

Then double check the op locks settings on the server as having them wrong can make things very slow indeed.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Where do I find the op lock settings and what should it be set for.

Forgive my ignorance.

Jeff

There are registry settings for both the workstations and the server (I *think* that's true for server 2003 - I've not had to set them).

I suspect the best way to get them is going to be to google them and pick up the solution from the M$ knowledge base as they are different for each version of windows etc.

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Hi, JBaril

Actually I don't think it is open files or oplocks.
Opportunistic locking does not prevent exclusive access to files - it has the opposite effect of allowing access when it shouldn't, resulting in file or more commonly index corruption when several users are doing concurrent updates.

If I understand correctly, you are unable to lock the file (get exclusive access) with even one user.

I think this is because the Win2k3 server is not set up to support netbios under tcp/ip. This will happen if the server either has a static ip address on the network or the DHCP server does not enable netbios and the feature is not enabled. This is often the case for security reasons.

Are you able to administer the server? If so, look at the advanced button, Wins tab on the tcp/ip protocol properties and see if netbios is enabled. If not, then enable it. Likely (but not sure) you will have to restart the server afterwards (it is Windows, after all).

Jock

I changing the net bios to enabled and it had no effect.

I would like to try adding the files line to the system32\config.nt file but can't seem to find it.

Jeff

It would probably be eiher:

C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT
or
C:\WINDOWS\SYTEM32\CONFIG.NT

and you need to do it on the machines that are running the app, not the one serving the share...

You MIGHT need a CLIPPER=F200 in the AUTOEXEC.NT too

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Hi, JBaril

Are you sure the logins being used by the workstations have full rights (read/write/create/delete) on the shares on which the database files reside? Have you checked the file attributes of those files on the server to ensure they are not read only?

Jock

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. II have set up net bios support and have added the lines to the config.net and autoexec.nt. I will check attributes again but I think they are all set correctly. I will see how the application behaves tomorrow, it might be that the application problem and the bro.exe problem are unrelated. Does anyone know of a good alternative program to view and alter the dbf files other than Bro

jeff

Hi, JBaril

I use dClip 4.1 as a command-line clipper tool. It is really a clipper development environment and library, but since I mostly use xHarbour now I don't really use it for development, but the program is useful for browsing and maintaining databases and has some nice featurels like multi-table browsing.

A free version is available here:

Jock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back