Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IN XP CAN I RE-BOOT TO THS DOS MODE??

Status
Not open for further replies.

faxpay

Programmer
Nov 30, 2004
US
Right now on my Win 95 machine I can re-boot into the dos mode to run my dos based software. I re-boot by assigning a dos re-boot in the properties of my desktop icon. This provides me with enough memory for the app to work. The XP machine will not allow me to assign a re-boot.

The app will not work from a dos window not having access to enough memory. I have 1gig of mem on my XP machine but from a dos window only a small portion is allotted.

When I try to run the app in a dos window the app comes back and tells me it needs 640K of mem but only has 204k.

Can I somehow get this dos re-boot on my XP machine?

Tom
faxpay

Few choices:
You can reboot and go into safe mode with command prompt.
You can create a startup disk (boot disk).

=========================================
“You can actually become a role model for women.” - Jenna Jameson :)

Windows XP unfortunately does not offer an option to boot into DOS. And I'm not sure Safe Mode with Command Prompt will let you run your app.

You could go to bootdisk.com and create a Dos boot disk to run yur application. You could use Microsoft's Virtual PC to Install a version of DOS and run your app there. You could try to use Compatibility mode for your applications icon(Right Click select Properties, and then Compatibility, set it to Win95)

I would suggest you try Compatibility first, and then the Virtual PC. That way you don't need to reboot your machine to use your app.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

noobtechie,

I tried that Safe Mode re-boot and it still does not provide enough memory.

If I use a dos boot up disk what and where do I get the files to put on it?

Tom
faxpay

from bootdisk.com. I would choose Dos 6.22. see if that works for you.

Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

start, run then type CMD this will get you in dos mode at the prompt c:\documents and setting/user

cd\ this get you to the prompt c:\

this is a small window alt/enter toggles between the two

jim

jimbuddy, that is not DOS, that is XP's command console. 2 different things, specially when it comes to memory allocation.

Which is why the OP said and i quote:
The app will not work from a [red]dos window[/red] not having access to enough memory. I have 1gig of mem on my XP machine but from a dos window only a small portion is allotted.

I would go with the VPC way but if you must boot into DOS, consider reading and installing Bootpart.

=========================================
“You can actually become a role model for women.” - Jenna Jameson :)

Tell some more about the app that doesn't want to start, maybe options or settings can help to resolve the issue?

HTH
TonHu

vacunita,

I downloaded dos 6.22 .exe file. Now what do I do with it??

Tom
faxpay

According to Microsoft vpc will not run on XP. XP Pro is needed. I am running XP media edition.

RUNNING IN COMPATIBILITY MODE FOR WIN 95 DOESN'T WORK EITHER.

Chances are that the problem really isn't a memory issue.

On the Win95 machine that runs this app properly, have a look at the autoexec.bat file, config.sys file and the batch file that runs the application. There is probably something in there that the application expects (maybe a 'files' assignment). Often these settings can be added to autoexec.nt & config.nt on the xp machine and allow the application to work.

Try Virtual PC, I think it will run on Media Center, which after all is just XP Pro, with one or two differences. I know people have Virtual PC on XP Home even though it isn't supported by Microsoft.

I suppose you could argue with Bill as it was he who once said you will never need more that 640K. If you check your win95 machine autoexec.bat and config.sys files, and make the relevant changes to autoexec.nt and config.nt does it help?

e.g. add the following to the bottom of your config.nt and see if it helps.
dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=240
buffer=40

in the dos-box, type mem->enter, what is it telling u?
even under dos, u never have 640k free mem, the system uses around 40k.
i have 600k free mem in my xp dos-box, is the prog talking about conventionel mem or expanded mem?
did u try it with the compat. mode for w95?

vacunita,

I downloaded dos 6.22 .exe file. Now what do I do with it??

Run it, and put a fresh floppy into your floppy drive. It will create a Bootable floppy.

You can then start your machine up with the floppy in the drive and it will boot DOS mode.

Bill as it was he who once said you will never need more that 640K.

He denies ever saying that.

did u try it with the compat. mode for w95?

He sez he tryd that alrdy.

However, there are some other things you can try. You can try running the [link hcp://system/compatctr/compatmode.htm]Compatability wizard[/url]

The other thing that you can do is make a shortcut to a MSDOS Batch file that runs your program, then right-click on the dos shortcut and go to the MEMORY tab. That will allow you to set the amount of available Conventional, Expanded (EMS) and Extended (XMS) memory, as well as MSDOS Protected Mode (DPMI) memory.

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

vacunita,

Used my dos 6.22 start up disk. Works fine but how do I get to my files on the c: to start my dos app?

I have tried just about everyones suggestion, no GO.
On my Win95 machine in the autoexec.bat file there is a reference to DEVICE=WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS. Looks like in XP that is 32bit but dos as I understand is 16bit. Tried moving it over to XP and referring to it but get err msg "invalid command".

Just about ready to give up. I even attempted to get help from Microsoft. They will not even talk to me on this subject.

Tom
faxpay

Is there a possibility of creating a DOS partition on the hard drive and using Partition Magic and Boot Magic to take you into DOS?

In your 95, did you have a boot menu that gave you a choice of using the previous DOS?

Allowing a previous DOS boot was one of the features available up through ME except that it limited you on your boot partition to 2gb under FAT16.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back