Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

In W2K Setup - SIF value corrupted or missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilinet

MIS
Jun 8, 2001
US
Attempting a clean install of Windows 2000. Created setup disks, and successfully initiated the setup operation (Windows 2000 CD in CD-ROM drive).
After partitioning the hard drive (6GB part on a 30GB drive) and selecting the NTFS file system, setup proceeded to format the partition. Received the following error after the format completed:
The following value in the .SIF file used by Setup is corrupted or missing:

Value 0 on the line in section [SourceDisksFiles] with key "SP1.cab"

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.

Has anyone seen this? Or can someone provide some insight/correction for this problem? ...Maybe an archived solution through tek-tips or an MS Knowledge Base article?

Are you attempting an unattended setup? What type of media are you using? James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

James,
Thank you for your response. I am not attempting an unattended setup. I'm using a Windows 2000 Professional CD-ROM and I created the 4 Setup disks from a Windows 2000 Professional PC.
I recently purchased a new PC with a PIII 866Mhz processor that came with Windows ME. I purchased a licensed copy of Windows 2000 Professional from Direct Deals.com. It is a full version and not an upgrade. I reformatted the hard-drive via the Windows 2000 Professional Setup disks in an attempt to install a clean copy of Windows 2000.
Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Thank You,
-Jamie

Does this copy of Windows 2000 have SP1 on it. Is it a copy or originol MS release. I ask these because its asking for SP1.cab. Now the only time I know it asks for that is when one does an unattended install of Windows 2000 with SP1. James Collins
A+, MCP

Yes. This copy has SP1.cab under the I386 folder. It is an original MS release. The CD says 1-2 Processor Edition and was attached to the back of the Micorsoft Windows 2000 Professional Quick Start Guide with a Certificate of Authenticity.

Is it possible that I should be changing my primary boot device to the CD-ROM and attempting the install directly from the CD rather than the Setup disks?

Thanks,
-Jamie

I would try that. For some reason the Diskettes are trying to do an unattended install. Let me know how it goes. James Collins
A+, MCP

OK. I'll try that this weekend.
Thanks again for your help,
-Jamie

James,
Changed my primary boot device to the CD-ROM last night - when it spun up, it complained that it could not find NTLDR...Hmmm.
-Jamie

Bad CD? I have experianced that before. When I placed in a new CD it ran fine. James Collins
A+, MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back