Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

In response to the "Let's Complicate It" thread.... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaughma

IS-IT--Management
Staff member
Nov 21, 2003
US
I thought it would be fun to start a new thread that is just the "politically correct" things. Be they good or bad, tongue-in-cheek, etc. Let's have some fun with it.

Here we go!

People aren't short - they're Vertically Challenged

He's not dead - He's metabolically challenged

I'm not bald - I'm follically challenged

It's not workman's comp any more... it's workERS comp

It's not a mailman or a policeman, it's a mail carrier, postal carrier, postal worker, and police officer... does that also mean those big metal things in my alley are Person-hole covers?

And I can never keep up with the "current" politically correct words for people of african descent... Black, Negro, African-American.... seems no matter which one I pick, I'm wrong... :S I had a black friend who would keep me up to date on that. ;)

I have a friend who isn't blind, he's "visually challenged"... although he refers to folks who CAN see as being impaired with sight..... lol (actually, he'll tell you he's blind).

Speaking of which... it's amazing how stupid people can be sometimes... (I'm sorry... synapse-challenged)... who, upon realizing my friend is blind, will talk louder. Go figure.

I suppose if someone is missing fingers, OR if they're Amish, they'd be considered digitally challenged. ;)

That's enough for now from me.... hehe... but I'd love to hear some others....

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

I think there only 2 sorts of people on Earth - those who thinks helping less fortunate is a honor and responsibility and those who thinks it is a waste (of time, money and effort).

Basically I am trying to say there are people with different sensitivity level. I think it depends on lots of factors like if you were ever a minority. I don't think you will ever know how it feels to be called names based on your color or ethnicity if you are white (which I am) - so I think it is not a big deal. I am not dying from being called 'fat' which I am - so what is the big deal?
Big deal is probably in ability for the fat person to lost weight and for the color person not being able to lost color. It is a very complicated subject. I think.

ability for the fat person to lost weight and for the color person not being able to lost color.
It is a very complicated subject.

It is.
Most fat people probably want to lose weight.
Most people do not want to change their color.
They just want to be treated normally.

This is true but those who are skinny are trying to speak for the feelings of those who are fat. This is where I find difficulties for political correctness.

----------

Steve Budzynski

"So, pass another round around for the kids. Who have nothing left to lose and for those souls old and sold out by the soles of my shoes"

but those who are skinny are trying to speak for the feelings of those who are fat

You think?

At least 2 people here openly admitted to being fat: Crystal one post above and the guy with the handle 2ffat. (Others, probably, are either skinny, average, think of themselves as mildly overweight, or just are not willing to publish this information.)
Would you like to ask them? I don't mean 'want to lose weight' as 'actively doing something about it', but more in the sense of thinking, 'wouldn't it be nice'.

I think asking them would be exactly what needs to be done. See I am relatively skinny 5'10 165lbs and do not think I in anyway should ever be able to speak about how overweight people feel about being overweight. I think that I cannot speak for their feelings because I am not in their shoes. I also am a minority and see political correctness as "skinny people speaking for fat people". But like I said this is 100% my own opinion. I do not expect anyone to agree with me nor do I want to change anyone else's opinion on the subject. Simply voice how I feel.

But Stella, I think you are on to something, we should ask them how they feel even if we think we know how they feel, and never speak for how we think they feel.

----------

Steve Budzynski

"So, pass another round around for the kids. Who have nothing left to lose and for those souls old and sold out by the soles of my shoes"

Don't get me wrong, there is a good portion of political correctness where people being affected are the ones striving for change.

A good example of that is the change in Men vs. Women and the great advances that women have made.

----------

Steve Budzynski

I think the weight issue is an excellent example of just how complicated political correctness can get.

If you call someone overweight you might think you're being polite by not calling fat but someone else might say you are explicitly judging their size as being excessive, not normal, and jus' plain BAD.

In fact, should we condemn people for being politically incorrect at all. Surely this is a judgment that may offend them. They are after all only persons of political colour [afro2]

BTW, if you've ever wondered when the heck that particular smiley would ever be useful now is the time to step back in awe ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back