Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

In one windows 2000 network, there

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackyZhang

Technical User
Aug 1, 2002
CA
In one windows 2000 network, there are 6 network networ printers, like say, PrinterA, PrinterB, PrinterC, PrinterD, PriterE, and Pf all managed by one Windows 2000 Server, problem is that some of workstation which is running windows 98 or windows 2000 pro can see 5 of these 6 printer except PrinterE through network, from server side, when we key in \\servername in Run filed, we can see all of these 6 network printer, but from all workstation which has this problem, we key in \\servername in Run field, we can only see 5 of them, and can not see PrinterE.
Any idea about this issue? thank!

Windows 2000 looks at printer names different than 98/previous did. 98/95 looked at printers by the actual share name when you shared it out, whereas 2000 actually looks at what is basically the icon name from the server for the shared name for some weird reason. To solve, I make sure the shared printer name and the actual icon on the server both have the same name (i.e. both the share and the icon are PRINTERE). I don't screw around with Windows printing to much so maybe someone can tack on something more helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back