Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

In need of advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyZ1

Technical User
Mar 31, 2004
here's the story,

About 4 months ago I was offered a new job making about 9k more a year(I took the job). The jobs great the skill set is a little less needed and more of a techie admin position, but requires alot of management stuff too. Buget planning, ordering supplies, stuff like that.

Now my old boss from 4months ago wants to offer me more money to come back(probably about 7k more a year). She knows what i'm making here and I'm just wondering what should one do?

Do I just continue my quest to make more money or do I have/need to be loyal to a company?

Only you can decide what you want to do. And how would your old boss know what you are currently earning? You say the "jobs great" which a lot of times has no monetary value.

yeah that's true, she' has a ball park figure..

most people that leave a company only to return within a short amount of time usually end up leaving again. The old issues that were big when you left are no longer BIG in your mind now. Just wait a few months. Most companies do not change that much over time.

IF you really had a good relationship there, you might be one of the few that make it work.

yep, should be an interesting month.

If you left on good terms and actually miss your old boss and the people you worked with, then go back.

Usually people leave for a reason more than money though. If there was something you didn't like at the old job (overtime, too busy, not enough work to do, the user that doesn't understand your job function doesn't entail what they're asking of you...), then if I were you, I would really consider it.

yeah, that's the crazy part, I do kind of miss it, and my new job really has no advancement oppurtunity. It's a small shop vs. a big shop with alot of room to grow.

Hmm...sounds like you have a decision to make. You never know because small shops can turn into big shops and then 5 years from now you're the Director of IT at that company.
Just something to consider

I know, and they are talking about expanding

Some times it is better to be a big fish, in a small pond, especially if the biggest fish in the pond get all the resources. Getting 50% of a $20,000 training budget invested in you, is better than 5% of a $50,000 training budget. \
There are also other advantages to a small business, like them wanting to keep a crucial employee happy. For instance, when I worked for a large company, time off was a function of the number of vacation days I accrued. In a small company, I get off any day which I want as long as the project, or customers expectations are met, and if I have the ability, exceeded. I also get included in more strategic planning and know more of the otherwise proprietary information.

I worked for a small company ($160 million/yr revenue) then went to a Fortune 400 company, then to a Fed Gov't Contractor for DoD, and now am at a medium-size company ($500+ million/yr revenue).

The company I am now at is struggling with the move that is needed because the company is growing. They don't have full-time project manager, for instance, but are working on adding what is needed because of the growth.

I can tell you that my preference (and everyone's is different) is the first company I worked for. They are now a $200+ million/yr company, but still family-owned and operated. I would love to work in that type of company again. No change management, the office politics were not there at the level I was (merely a tech worker) for the most part, really easy going and everyone was friendly. There was no need to CYA for everything you did.

Without question a small company is for me.

So you went to this new job and making $9,000 more a year than your old job. And now your old boss is offering you $7,000 more a year, is this $7k more a year than your new job or $7k more a year than you made at the old job?

If you really enjoyed the work and the place I'd say go for it. A better way to look at is where would you go if you were making equal pay at both places.

Personally if my old job offered me a position making more money than I am now I'd go back only b/c I really enjoyed working there, it was laid back and the people were fun to work with. My new job is really fun to, just since they're way smaller there isn't as much of a budget for training and expansion...and pay.

yeah, I kind of enjoyed it, but the new place is really nice and relaxed, The old place has alot of politics and crap involved, and the new place is small and quiet and easy, but yeah 7k more than the new job, it'll end up being a 16k raise in 5 months... something to think about

Thanks everyone

I think i'm worth it, I'm pretty good or so people tell me. I just think i'm a little more crafty.

How are the benefits at the old job? new job?

I don't know but for me, $16,000 may influence me to deal w/ some politics, but then again I'm having a kid in March, so it all helps.

yeah, and i'm buying a house, so yeah the money would be nice. Benefits are all pretty equal... not much of a difference... I'll find out Thursday for sure. I'll let you all know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back