Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

In Desperate NEED. Please help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabez1771

Technical User
Jan 24, 2003
US
I'm using my neighbors computer to post this issue because I can't use mine!! I'm not sure what is going on but my video is jumping (vertically) very fast on any open program or software (internet, e-mail, excel, word, etc). The only thing that does not jump is my wallpaper and desktop. This started today. I am unable to even post a question or check e-mail because the jumping is like watching a video slot machine. I can click but it is a "chance" click. There is no telling what it will "land" on. Background is as follows:

Was a windows 98 computer but upgraded to 2000 awhile back. Everything was working fine yesterday. I was looking for a back-up of a file last night so I put in a couple of my old back-up cd's. They computer did not believe there was a disk in the drive (they are CD-R's). I got to thinking... maybe it had something to do with the 2000 upgrade so I tried to reload the CD Writer software last night. I'm not sure it took. In hind sight, I know that the upgrade was not the problem, because I used those same back-up CD's to restore my data after the 200 upgrade. (I didn't think about that last night.) Anyway, this morning, the computer is jumping. I spoke with my brother and he thought that either the monitor was going out or the video card was going out. I plugged in another monitor and it still has the jumping issue. I don't know anything about video cards but it just doesn't make sense to me that it's the video card or the monitor because if it were, wouldn't my wallpaper and desktop have similar issues???

I can not function without my computer. I work from home. I really can't afford to buy a new computer right now and am hoping that someone out there can identify my problem and tell me how to fix it.

Thank you so much for reading this. (Since this is my neighbor's computer, I'll be a bit limited as to when I can check for replies and respond but I'll do the best I can.)

Thanks everyone!

Jabez (Catherine)

During startup, tap the F8 key until the 'Windows Advanced Options Menu' appears. If this menu does not appear by tapping the F8 key, then hold it down during startup.
Then, using the arrow keys select 'Last known good configuration', and press Enter.

If that does not fix things, then restart the computer, and repeat the above, but select 'Safe mode' and press Enter.
If the display stabilizes when a program is opened(You will not be able to access email or the Internet in this mode), then do a clean boot to troubleshoot it:

If the display jumps in Safe Mode, then there may be a hardware problem.
Turn off the computer, disconnect the power cord, and reseat the video card making sure it's fully inserted.
If no luck, then either try another card, or install your card in another system.
If another card works ok or if another system has the same problem with your card, then replace your card.

ski,

Well, I was in the process of restarting my computer to follow your advice when I realized that I had left my Windows 2000 disk in the drive. It went through all the Windows 2000 loading and then asked if I wanted to reinstall 2000 or repair it. I exited the program there and tried to proceed with your guidelines but as it turns out, my computer is acting fine now. (I'm writing this response from my own computer.) I guess it must have had something to do with the Win 2000 program?????

Anyway, thank you very much!

Jabez (Catherine)

You're welcome.
Glad to hear that it's working ok, and thanks for posting back with the apparent cause of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back