Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

In Crystal XI .. can't get report recap to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kratz

Programmer
Nov 17, 2006
US
thread766-1488292

My problem is very similar to what the user described in the cited thread. I have a 2-group tabular report containing sub-totals at the bottom of each group.
User wants a recap of all the sub-total lines. I know I can easily do that as a sub-report, but to the best of my knowledge that would involve selecting the database rows all over again and effectively double the burden on our database.
So I thought a crosstab would do the trick. But it's creating columns for each value of each variable I list in Expert to be columns.
The cited thread says " go to the customize style tab and select the row fields and check 'suppress subtotal" and also check "suppress row totals" and "suppress column totals".' ... but "Suppress subtotal" is grayed out and I don't even see the other two. Would those be the same as "suppress row grand total" & "suppress column grand total" respectively?

Please identify what your main report group fields are and what your columns are.

Then also identify what you have added as rows, columns, and summaries in the crosstab expert.

It would then help to see a sample of how the crosstab is displaying and a sample of how you want it to display.

-LB

Thank you LBASS.

My row is a field called corporationname. My columns are numeric fields called DCJSFEE and FBIFEE. My summary is the sum of those two fee fields.

The main report groups on corporationname and lists the fees for each individual associated with that corp. Then it has a summary line showing sum of each fee.

What the user wants is a recap of those summary lines showing the corporationname and the sum of each fee for that corp.

(Unfortunately I don't know how to attach a screen shot. I think my employer's Security options are blocking me from doing so.)

Sounds like you just need to insert a crosstab in the report footer where you add corporationname as the the row field, and sum of DCJSFEE and sum of FBIFEE as the summary fields, with no column field.

-LB

Tried that just now. It looks perfect except that it doesn't have any DCJSFEE or FBIFEE amounts.

What do you mean? No results are showing?

-LB

No.
What I mean is that it shows the corporation name and for each corp. it shows the sum of the dollar values. But it omits column for DCJSFEE subtotals and for FBIFEE subtotals.

What subtotals? Do you mean the rows that contributing to the totals for each corporation? If so, how would that be different than the main body of the report?

Maybe you should show a sample of what you are expecting to see.

-LB

Thank you.
OK. I'll talk with a techie to find out if there's a way to attach a picture, screen-shot or file.

(Have a nice week-end, LBASS.)

No, I just meant show a little mock sample.

-LB

Well, here's a sketchy example. Above the line of equal signs represents my main report. Below that represents what the user now wants to see as a recap in addition to the main report.

FBI DCJS
Corporation-1
Trans-1 1 1
Trans-2 0 4
Trans-3 1 0
Trans-4 1 0
Corp-1 subT 3 5

Corporation-2
Trans-5 1 1
Trans-6 1 1
Corp-2 subT 2 2

Corporation-3
Trans-7 1 1
Trans-8 0 1
Trans-9 2 0
Trans-10 1 1
Trans-11 0 1
Trans-12 2 1
Corp-3 subT 6 5

Corporation-4
Trans-13 1 1
Trans-14 0 1
Corp-4 subT 1 2

=====================================

FBI DCJS
Corporation-1 3 5
Corporation-2 2 2
Corporation-3 6 5
Corporation-4 1 2

Today I'm thinking that if a crosstab can't do it then maybe there's a way to populate a 2-dimensional array. Problem with that is I can't know until gathering the data how many array rows are needed.

If FBI and DCJS are different fields (not two instances of the same field), then my original suggestion should work fine. Insert a crosstab with corporation as the row field, with no column field, and with sum of FBI and Sum of DCJS as two summary fields. Then go to the customize style tab and in the section for summary fields->check "horizontal" and "show labels".

-LB

Woohoo!.
You are da man!!!!!

Thank you.
Thank you for being so SO patient, and re-explaining so this dense old coot finally GOT it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back