Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

in a query - Too many digits after the decimal point 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

djmurphy58

Technical User
Feb 28, 2003
US
In a query, I have an expression that calculates a percent over budget as follows:

% Over: Abs([Gain/Loss]/[ToDateBudget])

Compounding the matter is the fact that sometimes the loss is greater than zero, but the budget is zero. Since I can't divide a number by zero, PaulBricker helped me modify my expression as follows:

% Over: IIf([ToDateBudget] = 0,"No Budget",Abs([Gain/Loss]/[ToDateBudget]))

The problem with this is if the format of the query expression is "percent", then the text "no budget" will not show up, but the calculated percentages will. I want both.

So I changed the format of the expression to "standard" and multiplied the expression by 100. This allows the "no budget" to show up when applicable, AND it allows the calculated value to show - HOWEVER, it shows the calculated value with a ton of digits after the decimal point.

How do I show only 2 digits after the decimal point???? When I create a report based on the query, I try changing it in the field's properties on the report - from "Auto" to "2", but this doesn't work.

Thanks,
Dennis

Try this
Code:
% Over: IIf([ToDateBudget] = 0,"No Budget",
Format(
Code:
Abs([Gain/Loss]/[ToDateBudget])
,"0.00%")
Code:
)

I would try change the expression to:
% Over: IIf([ToDateBudget] = 0,Null,Abs([Gain/Loss]/[ToDateBudget]))
Then, you can set your Format property of your text box to display null values as "No Budget".

Duane
MS Access MVP
Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.

Duane-
Probably a stupid question -

But how do I set the Format property of my text box to display null values as "No Budget"?

Thanks,
Dennis

Not a stupid question. Check Help under "Format Property - Number and Currency Data Types". An example provided is:
$#,##0.00[Green];($#,##0.00)[Red];"Zero";"Null"

Duane
MS Access MVP
Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back