Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

in a domain and also a workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2002
GB
We have users that visit clients etc and need to "join" their workgroup to use their resources etc (their XP machines are part of the office domain to begin with)

usually they have to remove their pc from the office domain and join the clients workgroup. When back in the office they have to rejoin the domain. A bit of a pain...

I have heard that there is a way for an XP pc to stay in a domain and when taken to a client site the user is able to select the workgroup in question - from the Ctl ALT Del drop down box (after some previous config etc changes) and then authenticate to the workgroup and use its resources etc. The benefit being that when they are back in their own office their pc is still part of the domain and they can login as normal

I am somewhat Sceptical about this procedure but thought it was worth exploring if it can actually be made to work as it would solve a few headache here

thanks for any input

"Work to live, don't live to work"

"The problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes it shoots back"

Have you tried to connect as?
Can you not browse to the "workgroup pc" and connect as?

All you should have to do is give it the username
and password. at worst you have to specify the workgroup name:

workgroup\username
passwd

Works for me.

thanks I'll try the link out

unfortunately I suggested they login as normal and map drives to shares etc but they wanted to be part of th enetwork to be able to use printers (without resorting to IP configuring) and using scanners etc etc

"Work to live, don't live to work"

"The problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes it shoots back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back